New Nassar allegations detail more abuse, misuse of acupuncture

Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette speaks to press regarding the arrest and investigation of ex-MSU faculty member Larry Nassar on Nov. 22, 2016 in G. Mennen Williams Building at 525 W. Ottawa St. in Lansing.
Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette speaks to press regarding the arrest and investigation of ex-MSU faculty member Larry Nassar on Nov. 22, 2016 in G. Mennen Williams Building at 525 W. Ottawa St. in Lansing. —
Photo by Derek VanHorn | and Derek VanHorn The State News

Two motions have been filed to add additional plaintiffs to the federal court case against former MSU employee Larry Nassar, revealing new details about the case.

Both potential plaintiffs were minors at the time of their alleged sexual abuse by Nassar.

As previously reported by The State News, Nassar is accused of using his position as a doctor to sexually abuse his patients, including MSU student athletes and members of the U.S. Women’s Olympic Gymnastics Team. He has been charged with three counts of first-degree criminal sexual conduct with at least one victim younger than 13.

The MSU student-athlete, known as Jane Y. Doe in the lawsuit, alleged that Nassar gave her gifts, “such as his pin from his participation in the Olympic games,” for her birthday, when she started college and on other occasions.

In a separate motion, “Jane AMSU Doe” alleged that Nassar instructed her to text his personal cell phone and attempted to set up appointments at his private residence.

These were methods Nassar used to ingratiate himself with patients he sexually abused, according to the women’s attorneys.

Both women say in the lawsuits Nassar used acupuncture near and on their genitals, “without notice or explanation of the ‘treatment.’”

Nassar had been previously accused of performing “intravaginal adjustments,” in which he touched and digitally penetrated patients’ genitals.

These procedures have been described as “a proven medical treatment” by MSU employees, but another lawsuit filed in California calls them a “fictitious guise.”

“These vaginal examinations were well outside any recognized and/or accepted technique and were done for Nassar’s own sexual gratification,” according to the lawsuit filed in California.

Jane Y. Doe reported in the motion that she was sexually assaulted by Nassar “on approximately six hundred different occasions” between 2008 and 2012.

“It does appear that MSU has room to make a lot of positive changes as it pertains to the recording and documenting of sexual assaults,” attorney for Jane Y. Doe, Jamie White, said. “We hope that the university will cooperate to bring this matter to some conclusions so that the victims can begin their recovery.”

Share and discuss “New Nassar allegations detail more abuse, misuse of acupuncture ” on social media.