Democratic candidate for governor coming to MSU on Jan. 16

<p>Michigan Senate Minority Leader Gretchen Whitmer, D-East Lansing, speaks to students about abortion laws Feb. 12, 2014, at Case Hall. Whitmer and fellow speaker Whitney Mich, a government relations and development coordinator for Planned Parenthood Advocates of Michigan, addressed the rider for abortion coverage that was passed in December of 2013. Danyelle Morrow/The State News</p>

Michigan Senate Minority Leader Gretchen Whitmer, D-East Lansing, speaks to students about abortion laws Feb. 12, 2014, at Case Hall. Whitmer and fellow speaker Whitney Mich, a government relations and development coordinator for Planned Parenthood Advocates of Michigan, addressed the rider for abortion coverage that was passed in December of 2013. Danyelle Morrow/The State News

Photo by Danyelle Morrow | The State News

Former Michigan Senate leader and now 2018 Michigan gubernatorial candidate Gretchen Whitmer will be coming to MSU on Jan. 16.

Whitmer will appear at MSU College Democrats' first general assembly meeting of the year, held at 7 p.m. in room 339 in Case Hall, to speak on her campaign as well as other topics such as Michigan politics and student activism, MSU College Democrats President Daniel Eggerding said.

A Democrat who most recently served as interim Ingham County Prosecutor, Whitmer is the first candidate to formally run for governor of Michigan in 2018. If elected, Whitmer would replace Gov. Rick Snyder, who has reached his term limit. No Republican has yet formally announced candidacy.

Eggerding recently accepted the position of director of youth and student engagement with Whitmer’s campaign and helped bring her to campus. As part of this new position, Eggerding also founded the “Youth and Students for Gretchen Whitmer” group to reach out to younger voters. Eggerding intends on also bringing Whitmer to other colleges throughout the state.

“We’re just hoping that she inspires a lot of kids and a lot of students to be able to fight for their rights and know their rights, and hopefully get some Democrats elected this year and next year, too,” Eggerding said.

Share and discuss “Democratic candidate for governor coming to MSU on Jan. 16 ” on social media.