Bernie Sanders seeks to unite Democratic Party in speech

Sen. Bernie Sanders, D-Vt., gives a speech on July 25, 2016, the first day of the Democratic National Convention, at Wells Fargo Arena in Philadelphia.
Sen. Bernie Sanders, D-Vt., gives a speech on July 25, 2016, the first day of the Democratic National Convention, at Wells Fargo Arena in Philadelphia. —
Photo by Nic Antaya | and Nic Antaya The State News

PHILADELPHIA — With signs in the air and loud cheers from the crowd, Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., took the stage at the Democratic National Convention on Monday.

"Any objective observer will conclude that, based on her ideas and her leadership, Hillary Clinton must become the next president of the United States," Sanders said. 

Sanders supporters and delegates stole the night while butting heads with Clinton supporters and delegates. Bernie cheers were met with Clinton cheers, both sides went after each other.

Actress Sarah Silverman who introduced Sanders with Sen. Al Franken, a once adamant Sanders supporter, talked about getting behind Clinton.

"To the 'Bernie-or-bust' people, you're being ridiculous," Silverman said to groups of Sanders supporters. A theme consistent throughout the night.

Permanent chair Marcia L. Fudge struggled to get through her speech with loud chants from crowds. Sanders supporters booed after mention of Clinton throughout the night. 

Earlier in the day, the DNC released a statement apologizing to Sanders for the remarks made in emails released by WikiLeaks. ""On behalf of everyone at the DNC, we want to offer a deep and sincere apology to Senator Sanders, his supporters, and the entire Democratic Party for the inexcusable remarks made over email," the DNC said in a statement.

Sanders' speech focused on the products of his "revolution" and uniting the party.

"It is no secret that Hillary Clinton and I disagree on a number of issues. That’s what this campaign has been about," Sanders said. "That’s what democracy is about." 

Sanders went on to say where Clinton and him meet in the middle on issues, including college debt.

His theme remained that all Democrats must get behind Clinton so that the Republican nominee will not win the presidency.

"This election is about the thousands of young people I have met who have left college deeply in debt, and the many others who cannot afford to go to college," Sanders said. "We have come together on a proposal that will revolutionize higher education in America."

The plan would insure a family that makes less than $125,000 a year will have children go to a public college or university tuition free.

Sanders reached out to his supporters towards the end of his speech and said,"Our job now is to see that platform implemented by a Democratic Senate, a Democratic House and a Hillary Clinton presidency."

Working together was brought up in other speeches throughout the night, Sanders concluded his speech by praising Clinton and urging others to go to work for the November election.

"I am going to do everything I can to make that happen," Sanders said.

Share and discuss “Bernie Sanders seeks to unite Democratic Party in speech” on social media.