Sunday, May 5, 2024

Raymond Spencer, MSU football's first freshman to start on varsity, dies at age 60

<p></p>

He was never happier than when he played football for MSU, that's what Raymond Spencer said of his father Raymond Muhammad Spencer, who died on March 27 at the age of 60. 

Raymond Muhammad Spencer starred as an offensive lineman and defensive end for MSU from 1972-76, and became the first ever freshman to start on the MSU varsity football team. He graduated from MSU in 1976 with a degree in food systems and economics. 

Being a freshman on the varsity football team was much less commonplace during Raymond Muhammad Spencer's playing days and Raymond Spencer said his dad had to fight to earn the respect of his teammates. 

“He had to earn a lot of the guys’ respect, he was actually a fairly small guy," Raymond Spencer said. "He had to earn a lot of respect, a lot of guys he went up against were twice his size. He had a lot to prove, from what he said.”

After his career with MSU, Raymond Muhammad Spencer had a brief stint with the San Francisco 49ers before suffering a career-ending knee injury. 

Raymond Spencer said his father met his wife Paulina in California and had three children, including his oldest son Jamaal Spencer, his second-born son Ramiah Spencer and Raymond Spencer. 

After his playing days Raymond Muhammad Spencer went back to school and received a doctorate degree from Church Divinity School of the Pacific before becoming a preacher. 

According to his obituary, Raymond Spencer became a very spiritual individual, studying many different religions and finding himself spiritually. 

Raymond Spencer said his dad changed drastically after his injury when he decided to be a preacher, but he said his dad was never as happy after his playing career as he was when he was playing football. 

“He was highly devastated," Raymond Spencer said. "I believe for him, that kind of changed his life around, I don’t think he was ever too happy after that. Football was his life. I know he started back in his younger years and then he went to Central High and then he played football there, and from there went to Michigan State.”

Raymond Spencer said his father always stayed tuned in with what was happening with the MSU sports programs, despite living in Arizona, especially the football and basketball teams. He said his dad used to almost relive his playing days when watching MSU football.

“He kept up with them fairly greatly, he still talks to all the guys," Raymond Spencer said. "I know he watches the basketball, he’s great friends with Magic Johnson. Certain games, he would go back to, he just wouldn’t take us.”

Raymond Spencer said his father loved football and loved MSU.

"That was his life, that was his dream, he lived his life dream and that was when he was the most happy in his life,” Raymond Spencer said. 

Share and discuss “Raymond Spencer, MSU football's first freshman to start on varsity, dies at age 60” on social media.