Online classes, convenience does not mean easier workload

Online classes have become a massive part of the education system. College, high school and even home schooling have forms of online participation.

There are some colleges that are completely online in order to accommodate students who cannot go to a classroom or attend a lecture. They are particularly helpful for students who do not want to be in class all summer.

Online classes are extremely convenient, but beware because sometimes they can be too good to be true. Students often see online, particularly summer online classes as an “easy A” or vacation class. They are the exact opposite.

Online classes are set to a constrained time limit and this can often pressure professors to give their students massive amounts of course material to cover in the allotted time. Shortened time plus only online interaction can cause miscommunications between professors and students. A lack of communication can lead to poor grades.

If you are going to take an online class, make sure to keep talking with your professor. When you read an online module or watch a lecture there is always a bit of gray area, be sure to ask questions and confirm what you know.

Another problem with online learning is that you are responsible for your own learning. You get out of it what you put into it. Online courses require you to persevere and can involve self-teaching, making it more challenging.

My fellow procrastinators, you cannot procrastinate in these classes and expect to pass with flying colors. Online classes require participation throughout the entire class. If you wait to work on anything, you will get far behind and you can kiss that 4.0 goodbye.

So if you are constantly battling your own laziness, I would recommend you either not take the class or you use it as a way to fix your problem. After each of my online classes, I had become a much more diligent student–they forced me to actively participate.

Go for those online classes, but be cautious, you will have to work harder than usual.

Rachel Fradette is The State News opinion editor. Reach her at rfradette@statenews.com.

Share and discuss “Online classes, convenience does not mean easier workload” on social media.