Column: Loss means Spartans should be in 'panic mode'

<p>Sheehan</p>

Sheehan

Photo by Justin Wan | The State News

Someone fetch me the panic button.

I don’t need to hit it, oh no. I need to stomp on it, punch it or do anything it takes to make it clear MSU basketball is on “red alert” right now.

No. 18 MSU just dropped its second straight game while looking more lifeless than a crash test dummy. If you don’t think MSU is in trouble with only 80 minutes of basketball left in the regular season, it’s also time for you to wake up and recognize what is going on.

In words of head coach Tom Izzo, this game was “inexcusable.”

Injuries, lack of individual practice time and anything other excuses people can think of need to be thrown out the window. MSU just lost to Illinois, a team that is fighting for a spot in the NIT.

There aren’t enough excuses in the world that should justify how talented a team like MSU lost this game.

If you give me 15 minutes, I could go find five people that could put up a fight against the Illini. They might not win, but I will guarantee you they will show more passion than the Spartans did.

With the game in its final minutes and MSU looking at a six-point deficit, no one had the urgency to shoot. After taking incredible care of the ball for most the season, they went out and committed 16 turnovers. They also shot 4-of-11 from the free throw line.

That’s not injuries creating that performance - that’s a lack of focus and energy. To see that after a six-day break between games, you have no choice but to be alarmed.

And this isn’t the thoughts of a grumpy sportswriter, it’s the thoughts of Izzo and any of the fans booing during the back end of the game.

It can’t be an excuse, but Izzo alluded to distractions he did not detail after the game. Winning teams put those in their back pockets and go all-in during the game - that is something MSU has to learn to do.

So, here is the bottom line - MSU has two games to shape up and save this season, or it could be headed towards infamy if adjustments aren’t made.

The good news for these Spartans is that both of these games are against winnable competition.

Playing Iowa during Senior Night ought to light a fire under MSU. Playing against OSU on the road will be the team's final chance to tune things up before the Big Ten Tournament.

Up until today, people thought those two games would be the most important for MSU to lock up the Big Ten title. Now, they are the two most important games for a different reason - MSU needs to find themselves before a loss results in the end of the season. 

Matt Sheehan is a State News basketball reporter. Reach him at msheehan@statenews.com.

Share and discuss “Column: Loss means Spartans should be in 'panic mode'” on social media.