Saturday, May 4, 2024

Senior creates survey, interactive graphics to promote bike safety

Although some students utilize little of what they learn in college, Matthew Bambach is making his knowledge go to work for him and the MSU community.

Bambach, a media arts and technology senior, is in the process of creating a presentation to synthesize information about bikes and bike usage on campus. Using various platforms, such as graphics, videos, audio interviews and motion animation, Bambach said he wants to create an interactive experience to promote bike safety and awareness for the students at MSU.

“I wanted to work on a project utilizing all the stuff I’ve learned over the course of college and make something that the community could use to their benefit,” Bambach said. “I just want to encourage activism and make this as fun as possible, so people will want to watch it.”

Bambach began gathering information for his presentation by surveying students on campus. He said the survey has been answered by more than 300 people, but his goal is to acquire responses from 1,000 students.

Bambach also maintains a blog, which features updates on his progress and a preview of the graphics and videos he has been working on.

Through studying people’s responses and personal experiences they share with him, Bambach said he hopes to determine the state of transportation on campus.

“The primary goal is to incite action in students and make the higher-ups realize that I’m a student at the university, and I’m doing this,” Bambach said. “I want the higher-ups to say, ‘Oh, maybe we should take it more seriously and take suggestions into consideration.’”

Bambach said a lot of the work he’s doing complements the work Tim Potter, the manager of MSU Bikes Service Center, is doing on campus to improve bike education.

Potter said he helped Bambach with some of the data about bike accidents and information Potter has been collecting for several years.

Potter said the community needs to have people doing what Bambach is doing on a regular basis to improve education for cyclists, pedestrians and the university.

“(It’s) certainly something that concerns me and campus administration, and we’d like to try to reduce those conflicts,” Potter said. “There are certainly a lot more people that get frustrated and angry if they get clipped or hit by bicyclists on sidewalks.”

Kaitlyn Canary, a digital rhetoric and professional writing sophomore, said she has two friends who have been hit by cars while riding their bikes.

Canary said riding bikes is a primary mode of transportation for people on campus, and more could be done to protect those people.

“You have to get to your classes on time, and it’s a good way to do it — people driving and not being aware of that is the problem, not the bikers,” Canary said. “Almost everyone I know knows someone who has gotten into a bike accident or come close to one, so I think something could be done.”

For Bambach, the project is about identifying problems in order to solve them for future generations of commuters on campus.

Bambach said he hopes more students answer his survey in order to best compile the information he needs for his presentation of data to be representative of the MSU community.

“My car is just a drain between gas and fixing it — I have not put $1,000 into repairs to my bike,” Bambach said. “Anyone who chooses to ride their bike should not have to deal with (these) problems and should have equal rights as anyone traveling across campus.”

Visit bikemsu.wordpress.com to view Bambach’s bike interactives and to take the online survey.

Share and discuss “Senior creates survey, interactive graphics to promote bike safety” on social media.