Sunday, May 5, 2024

Police still looking for suspects in Saturday's shootings

There are still no leads on the shootings that took place at the Crossing Place apartment complex on Saturday morning.

No arrests have been and there are no suspects at this time Bath Township police Chief Scott Rose said.

Rose said a man was arrested for gun charges at the apartment complex but they do not believe he was one of the shooters.

“He was there but he was not involved in the shooting,” he said. “It’s our beliefs that there were two groups shooting at each other.”

Two separate shootings occurred near Crossing Place Apartments early Saturday morning. Police from East Lansing and Bath Township responded to the incidents. East Lansing Police said they came across a car in the 1600 block of Abbot Road where someone had been shot. The man, 20-year-old Adrian House of Detroit, had died as a result of the gun shot.

East Lansing police Sgt. Scott Wriggelsworth said Saturday that House was not a student at MSU.

Some damage had been caused by the shots at Crossing Place Apartments, including one resident having the windows of her car shot out.

Criminal justice junior Brian Watson, who lives in Chandler Crossing apartments complex, heard the gunshots Saturday, called the police and followed the incident over the police scanner.

Watson said he heard on the scanner that police were looking for two cars, a black SUV and a gray sedan, and the man who was shot was the driver of one of the cars.

“They said they were looking for someone with an AK-47 and from the gunshots it sounded like that’s what it could have been,” he said “It definitely wasn’t a hand gun.”

When Watson heard the police spotted someone running on the gravel service road that runs behind the complex he decided to investigate.

“My roommate and I looked back there and saw this guy hiding behind a tree, we were looking through a pair of binoculars,” he said. “We called the police and told them what we saw, but when we looked back he was gone.”

Watson said the man he saw was wearing black pants, a white shirt and a black vest.
East Police Capt, Tom Johnstone said they do not have full description of anyone involved in the shooting.

There were a number of witnesses to the crime, Johnstone said, but police do not have enough information at this time.

“We have very little witness information at this point in time,” he said. “We strongly encourage anybody who has any information to come forward.”

Some students, such as Watson, no longer feel safe living in that area.

Watson said there have been a number of problems this year and though he has felt intimidated by his fellow residents he is not completely surprised by this incident.

“You knew it was going to happen at some point, things have just been getting worse and worse,” he said. “There’s no community out here.”

Rose said that he has received a number of complaints from residents about the management and the security, but he wants to assure everyone that they are doing everything they can.

“We’re doing everything we can and they are doing everything they can to make sure it is as safe as possible for the people living there,” he said.

Anyone with additional information about the event should contact the Bath Township police at (517) 641-6271 or central dispatch at (800) 986-5121.

Share and discuss “Police still looking for suspects in Saturday's shootings” on social media.