Engineering professor charged with criminal sexual conduct

<p>The Spartan Statue photographed on May 15, 2019.</p>

The Spartan Statue photographed on May 15, 2019.

Photo by Matt Zubik | The State News

Update: Deng was declared not guilty on all criminal sexual conduct charges in March 2023.

Engineering professor Yiming Deng has been formally charged with two counts of criminal sexual conduct of the second degree and one count of criminal sexual conduct of the third degree.

The offense took place on July 14, according to the court documents. He pleaded not guilty on Sept. 24 and paid $5,000, a 10% deposit of his total bond, on Sept. 27.

He was placed on administrative leave on Sept. 30 and according to students, was present in class on Sept. 24, 27 and 29.

Students in Deng's introduction to signal processing class were sent an email on Sept. 30 by College of Engineering chair John Papapolymerou where he linked resources for students, such as the Center of SurvivorsCounseling and Psychiatric Services and the University Ombudsperson.

"The decision to share information about inappropriate behavior may be difficult," Papapolymerou said in the email. "If you would like to discuss options for sharing information in a confidential manner or need other supportive services such as counseling, the following resources are available to you."

Share and discuss “Engineering professor charged with criminal sexual conduct” on social media.