Scooters return to East Lansing, city urges caution of COVID-19 exposure

Lime scooters are back on campus as of this week, with over 300 green-accented e-vehicles in the Lansing and East Lansing areas.
Lime scooters are back on campus as of this week, with over 300 green-accented e-vehicles in the Lansing and East Lansing areas. —
Photo by Lauren DeMay | The State News

Electric scooters have been deployed in East Lansing, returning from their winter hiatus, according to a statement from the City of East Lansing. As the COVID-19 pandemic continues, city officials urge community members using scooters to take precautions to reduce COVID-19 exposure.

According to the statement, city officials assured that scooter deployment would not interfere with Gov. Gretchen Whitmer's "Stay Home, Stay Safe" order. Scooter employees are categorized as critical infrastructure employees under the Department of Homeland Security’s Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency, or CISA.

Scooters should be used for travel allowed under Whitmer's order, such as traveling to the grocery store or pharmacy. Those using the scooters are advised to use hand sanitizer, wash their hands and use disinfectant wipes on scooter surfaces before and after use.

City officials also recommend wearing a cloth face mask, if able.

"If you can have Clorox type or disinfectant type wipes on hand that you may be using to wipe down door handles or the interior of your car, you can do the same here," East Lansing Police Department interim Chief Steve Gonzalez said. "You can use the same practices with the shared mobility devices as you can use in your daily life."

Disinfectant and hand sanitizer are recommended for community members in any public space, Gonzalez explained. Residents are reminded to stay home if they feel sick.

"I think this is starting to be kind of the new normal for everybody, that in public spaces we want to practice better disinfectant and sanitizing efforts to protect ourselves," Gonzalez said.

According to the statement, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention are still researching how COVID-19 can spread. They have stated that an individual may be able to contract COVID-19 by touching a surface with the virus on it, and then then touching their own mouth, nose or eyes.

Share and discuss “Scooters return to East Lansing, city urges caution of COVID-19 exposure” on social media.