Campus closure leads local bookstores, ASMSU to change procedure for returning rental materials

<p>Professor Dawn Pysarchik clicks her iClicker to rate the commercials for Super Bowl  <span class="caps">XLVII</span> between the Ravens and 49ers, Sunday, Feb. 3, 2013, at the house of advertising instructor Robert Kolt in Haslett . Justin Wan/The State News</p>

Professor Dawn Pysarchik clicks her iClicker to rate the commercials for Super Bowl XLVII between the Ravens and 49ers, Sunday, Feb. 3, 2013, at the house of advertising instructor Robert Kolt in Haslett . Justin Wan/The State News

Photo by Justin Wan | The State News

Due to the closure of Michigan State's campus for the remainder of the spring 2020 semester, the Spartan Bookstore and ASMSU have implemented new procedures for students to be able to return rental materials such as textbooks, iClickers and calculators safely.

Spartan Bookstore

Students who rented textbooks from the Spartan Bookstore in the International Center will be receiving an email to the account they used to sign up for the rental around April 17, Director Amber Straatman said.

The email will be a basic return reminder. Students get several of these leading up to the end of the semester. However, this specific one will include a prepaid FedEx return label, so students are advised to read it over carefully.

The return label can printed off normally and taped to the outside of your package.

For students to have their account appropriately credited, they will need to be sure to include their full name and rental patron ID.

The patron ID can also be found in the email. It is there to make it easier for the bookstore to match the package to the student's identity and mark them off of their list — even if someone else, such as a parent or guardian, rented the books for them.

"As long as this is the only option, we are offering free shipping," Straatman said in an email.

Students are not responsible for any costs, unless the books are damaged in shipping or the books are not returned at all.

The bookstore has accommodated for finals week and the shift of being back home, moving their original return date from May 1 to May 15. This gives the students two extra weeks of leeway.

The bookstore is also still participating in buybacks, Straatman said, though the process is strictly online using ValoreBooks. All students need to do is find and enter their book's ISBN number to receive their sell-back quote.

Shipping has a 14 day window and is also free. Students can choose to earn their payment via check or PayPal.

The bookstore is also still allowing books to be bought for the upcoming summer semester, though the process is strictly online through their website.

Student Bookstore

Students who rented textbooks from the Student Bookstore, or SBS, on Grand River Avenue. should have received an email containing a return reminder around April 10, according to SBS' website.

Owner Greg Ballein said that students should now be gathering all of their rentals together — each one has a distinct white rental sticker on the front with the store's logo.

Ballein asks that students include a piece of paper with their full name, student number and email address in their package to be properly accredited for their returns.

The address students should include on the outside of their package is listed on the SBS website.

Ballein suggested students also obtain a tracking number in case their package goes missing during the shipment process.

Similar to the Spartan Bookstore, SBS has also extended their original return date from May 4 to May 31.

Local students should note that if the store is open by May 31, they are welcome to return their textbooks in person.

Once rentals are returned, students will receive a confirmation email that includes a $10 coupon. The coupon is for in-store use and serves as reimbursement for the shipping costs.

Ballein said he is not sure when the store will be ready for business again. Their reopen date is currently May 1, but that could be subject to change on government orders.

This means, in terms of buybacks, students can follow the same procedure they would for rental returns, Ballein said.

ASMSU

Students who rented iClickers and calculators from Associated Students of Michigan State University, or ASMSU, in the Student Services Building should have previously received a return reminder via email. However, ASMSU Vice President of Finance and Operations Tayte Rider said they will be receiving at least one more.

Similar to the bookstores, ASMSU has also extended their original return date from April 30 to May 30.

For students who are not local to East Lansing and have returned to their hometowns, states or countries, ASMSU is accepting returned rental materials through the mail.

"I have had international and non-local students reach out saying that have already left for the summer," Rider said in an email.

The organization is not currently covering shipment costs like the Spartan Bookstore, though Rider said this could be subject to change.

Rider also said that he doesn't anticipate any damages during shipping because both assets are pretty durable. But, if there are, he doesn't see ASMSU holding the student accountable.

"(It's not) something they could have prevented," Rider said.

If students have concerns about their current situation and returning their rental materials on time, Rider suggested that they contact vpfo@asmsu.msu.edu for assistance.

From there, they will be granted a sort of immunity and can keep ahold of their iClickers and calculators until they get back to campus in August.

Share and discuss “Campus closure leads local bookstores, ASMSU to change procedure for returning rental materials” on social media.