Antjuan Simmons returns home as the enemy

<p>Junior linebacker Antjuan Simmons (34) celebrates during the game against Penn State on Oct. 26, 2019 at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans fell to the Nittany Lions, 28-7.</p>

Junior linebacker Antjuan Simmons (34) celebrates during the game against Penn State on Oct. 26, 2019 at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans fell to the Nittany Lions, 28-7.

Photo by Matt Schmucker | The State News

Michigan State junior linebacker Antjuan Simmons occasionally gets texted by friends from high school throughout the football season.

But something about this week has his phone blowing up.

“This week is probably the worst week for that, because usually they don’t really text me through the whole year, like at all," he said. "But this week for some reason, everybody gets the nerve to text me.” 

As coy as Simmons is, he knows the reason why.

When Michigan State travels to The Big House this Saturday to take on Michigan (noon, FOX), Simmons will be returning home in enemy colors. The Ann Arbor native went to school right across the street from Michigan's football stadium at Ann Arbor Pioneer.

He makes sure not to dignify those texts with an answer.

“I open it and then don’t respond.” he said laughing. Just so they know where his loyalty lies.

Those close ties for Simmons give a little extra meaning to Saturday's game.

"It's personal to a certain extent," he said. "At the end of the day, we need a win, and they’re next up, so we got to show up and play.”

Prior to being recruited, Simmons said he only stepped in The Big House once, for a game that he was invited to by his friend. Then his recruiting picked up.

Ranked as one of the best linebackers in the country coming out of high school, Simmons always played the hometown villain role. He first lived in Ann Arbor as an Ohio State commit. Then he switched over to Michigan State.

Two years ago, in his first game back home, Simmons recorded two tackles en route to helping the Spartans upset No. 7 Michigan 14-10. Returning one last time, Simmons, and Michigan State, enters this year's game desperate for a win, as it sits in the middle of a four-game losing streak that culminated in a 25-point blown lead in last week's 37-34 loss to Illinois.

Due to the suspension of senior captain Joe Bachie, Simmons slid from his outside linebacker position to the middle of Michigan State's defense.

"We want to take Antjuan, you put him in the middle there," Michigan State Head Coach Mark Dantonio said. "We didn't really talk about him last week, but put him in the middle, because of that position being so productive traditionally in our defense, and so we wanted to put a guy in there with leadership qualities."

So, Simmons will truly be front and center when he comes back home.

“Coach (Dantonio) and Coach (Mike) Tressel, they’re going to play the best guys and they did that," Simmons said. 'We were willing to do whatever we had to do to make sure we were going to play our best game. If that meant moving guys around all game, getting guys in different spots, we’re definitely willing to do that.” 

Still in need of two wins to reach bowl eligibility, willing to do whatever it takes, is something the Spartans may need to pull off the upset over Michigan on Saturday.

Simmons, more than anyone, understands that.

“It doesn’t matter. They have to show up and play just like we do," he said. "Any team can lose at any time. I wouldn’t bet a single dime against us no matter what. So, I mean, we’re ready and we’re going to come to play."

Share and discuss “Antjuan Simmons returns home as the enemy” on social media.