Ex-MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon to testify before U.S. Senate subcommittee

<p>Former MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon is pictured during the Board of Trustees meeting on Oct. 27, 2017 at the Hannah Administration Building. Simon resigned from her position in January 2018.&nbsp;</p>

Former MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon is pictured during the Board of Trustees meeting on Oct. 27, 2017 at the Hannah Administration Building. Simon resigned from her position in January 2018. 

Photo by Matt Schmucker | The State News

Former MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon has agreed to testify before a congressional subcommittee that has jurisdiction over the health and safety of athletes from USA Gymnastics, the U.S. Olympics and the NCAA.

According to the Lansing State Journal, Simon has accepted an invitation to testify before the U.S. Senate subcommittee on Consumer Protection, Product Safety, Insurance and Data Security, which is continuing to investigate sexual abuse in sports. 

It is unclear exactly when Simon will face questions at the subcommittee. 

A committee hearing was originally scheduled for May 22, but has been postponed because witnesses associated with USA Gymnastics, including former President and CEO Steve Penny, former Senior Vice President for Women's Programs Rhonda Faehn and former National Team Coordinator Marta Karolyi, did not agree to testify.  

In a statement, committee officials have said testimony from Simon and others are "imperative to our subcommittee's investigation into abuse in amateur sports." 

Stay with The State News for updates on this story. 

Share and discuss “Ex-MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon to testify before U.S. Senate subcommittee” on social media.