Former Nassar boss to be arraigned on felony charge, misdemeanor charges

William Strampel, the former dean of MSU's College of Osteopathic Medicine and Larry Nassar's former boss, is awaiting arraignment in East Lansing's 54-B District Court on Tuesday, according to multiple reports.

According to court records, Strampel, 70, faces felony and misdemeanor charges pending the arraignment. He faces one count of "Common Law offenses," one count of fourth-degree criminal sexual conduct and two counts of willful neglect of duty. Warrants were authorized by Judge Richard Ball on Tuesday, according to the Lansing State Journal.

Officials from 54-B District Court said Strampel will be arraigned at 2:30 p.m.

Special Prosecutor William Forsyth, who was appointed to lead Attorney General Bill Schuette's investigation into MSU's handling of sexual misconduct regarding Nassar, announced Monday morning he will hold a press conference to update the public on the investigation at noon on Tuesday. It is unclear at this time whether the press conference concerns Strampel's arrest, although Forsyth's investigation has focused on Strampel and MSU's handling of sexual misconduct cases.

MSU Interim President John Engler moved to begin revoking Strampel's tenure in February, stating Strampel did not act with a level of professionalism MSU expects from senior officials. According to the Wall Street Journal, Strampel made comments in 2016 that he did not believe those who accused Nassar of sexual assault and did not want to fire Nassar from the university.

Strampel stepped down from his position for medical leave in December 2017, after serving as the dean of that college since 2002. 

Strampel is the first university official since Nassar's sentencing to be arrested.

Check back with The State News for updates.

Share and discuss “Former Nassar boss to be arraigned on felony charge, misdemeanor charges” on social media.