Reports of fired shots at Central Michigan University

<p>The main lobby on Nov. 20, 2015 at the CMU Student Activity Center on 200 West Broomfield Street in Mount Pleasant, Mich.</p>

The main lobby on Nov. 20, 2015 at the CMU Student Activity Center on 200 West Broomfield Street in Mount Pleasant, Mich.

Update, 4:30 p.m. — The alleged shooter is still considered armed and dangerous as of a second press conference at 4 p.m. Friday at Central Michigan University.

Central Michigan University Police Lt. Larry Klaus said the department has not received any phone calls, nor have they had any sightings of the alleged shooter. Local law enforcement is currently asking for the community's help in finding the subject.

Central Michigan University's president, George E. Ross, spoke during the press conference, which was live streamed through Facebook from multiple news outlets.

"I want to assure all of you and everybody watching that the safety of our students, the safety of our faculty and staff and the safety of this community is paramount, and we will do whatever's necessary as we go through this process of understanding what happened, as we go through this process of learning from this, to make our campus even safer," Ross said.

Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder was also at the press conference.

"This was a terrible incident, it was an isolated incident, but we had two people who were killed in a residence facility," Snyder said. "That's traumatic — to the students, to the parents, to the staff, to the faculty, and in this case, the community, because this individual is still at-large."

Snyder said he hopes the community can rally together and continue to support one another.

"I'm sure people are going to ask how this relates to everything else," Snyder said. "We were already active in looking at what we can do on our campuses and our schools to protect people better — this reinforces the point — this is not simply about K-12, this is an outstanding university and we need to include our campuses, our universities and community colleges. ... This will be an ongoing dialogue."

Klaus said law enforcement has been evacuating campus buildings, but said the fourth floor of Campbell Hall, the location of the shooting, has not yet been evacuated as it is an active crime scene.

Central Michigan Police confirmed two people are dead following a shooting around 8 a.m., Friday.

The alleged shooter, James Eric Davis Jr., a sophomore at Central Michigan University is still at large. 

“We believe the situation involves a domestic-type incident," Central Michigan Police Detective Lt. Larry Klaus said.

Klaus could not confirm if the two dead are the parents of Davis, as has been previously reported, but said it is a "family-type domestic incident." 

Thursday night, Davis was taken to McLaren Hospital by Central Michigan Police for a "drug-related incident," and released into the care of hospital staff.

“At the current time this is still an active event,” Klaus said.

The campus is still in lockdown and students are sheltering in place, Klaus said.

Mount Pleasant Police Public Information Officer Jeff Brown asked city residents to call 911 if they see Davis, but residents should stay inside and not go searching for him.

“We believe the subject is in the city limits now," Brown said.

He was last seen in a blue hoodie and mustard yellow pants, but he might be wearing something different because articles of clothing were found during the search, Klaus said.

A photo of Davis has been released to aid in identification. Davis is reported to be a 5-foot-10, 135-pound sophomore, according to CM Life.

Since campus is locked down, parents picking up their children are redirected to the Comfort Inn, 2424 S. Mission St., where university staff are on-site to offer support.

Central Michigan Director of Athletics Michael Alford announced the men's basketball game between Western Michigan and Central Michigan for Friday evening has been rescheduled in a tweet.

Editor's Note: This article has been updated throughout the day as information came in, with the last update at 12:48 p.m. Stay with The State News for more updates.

Share and discuss “Reports of fired shots at Central Michigan University” on social media.