Engler creates office to oversee Title IX, civil rights complaints

Interim President John Engler speaks during the Board of Trustees meeting on Feb. 16, 2018 at the Hannah Administration Building. (Nic Antaya | The State News)
Interim President John Engler speaks during the Board of Trustees meeting on Feb. 16, 2018 at the Hannah Administration Building. (Nic Antaya | The State News) —

MSU Interim President John Engler announced the creation of the "Office of Civil Rights and Title IX Education and Compliance" Friday afternoon, an executive office meant to restructure MSU's Title IX and prevention apparatus. 

The new office will oversee the existing Office of Institutional Equity, or OIE, and the new Title IX Prevention, Outreach and Education Office.

The OIE is responsible for investigating Title IX and civil rights complaints and potential violations, while the Title IX Prevention, Outreach and Education Office will handle prevention and outreach, coordinating with other MSU entities to provide crisis and advocacy services, according to a press release.

The new offices, focused on outreach, come in response to a preliminary Title IX report that stated MSU's prevention programs were not successfully implemented, leading students to become misinformed about the university's resources and procedures.

“We are greatly expanding our capabilities to investigate reported civil rights and Title IX incidents and deliver effective prevention, education and outreach programs to foster broader culture change at MSU,” Engler said in the release. “We heard the feedback loud and clear and are taking immediate steps to be more efficient and effective.”

MSU Title IX Director Jessica Norris will be promoted to associate vice president of the new executive office, according to the release. Twelve new positions will be created, mostly in the Title IX Prevention, Outreach and Education Office.

The openings and recruitment efforts will be posted as soon as possible.

Share and discuss “Engler creates office to oversee Title IX, civil rights complaints” on social media.