Letter: Board, ASMSU has not been transparent

The ASMSU Office of the President talks during the debate of the bill to condemn MSU administration in regards to their handling of the Larry Nassar case on Jan. 18, 2018, at the MSU International Center. The bill passed with a unanimous vote.
The ASMSU Office of the President talks during the debate of the bill to condemn MSU administration in regards to their handling of the Larry Nassar case on Jan. 18, 2018, at the MSU International Center. The bill passed with a unanimous vote. —
Photo by Matt Schmucker | The State News

By The Roosevelt Institute at Michigan State University

We at the MSU chapter of the Roosevelt Institute, a progressive policy organization, reject the actions taken by the Board of Trustees and the statements made by ASMSU. 

The Board of Trustees has not been transparent in their approach to the crisis occurring on MSU’s campus, nor have they been responsive to students’ requests for increased transparency. Despite this, ASMSU has thrown its support behind the board.

For the last few weeks on campus, students have gotten a close-up view of what it looks like when an administration fails. The Steering Committee brought student and faculty concerns to the Board of Trustees, which were ignored with the board’s hasty selection of John Engler as interim president. That decision is representative of the administration’s unwillingness to take student and faculty voices into account.

Through its support of the board, ASMSU has continued the cycle of ignoring student concerns in favor of the convenient answer. Students on campus are clearly dissatisfied by this state of affairs, and their activism represents clear policy goals. These policy goals cannot be achieved by the current administration.

Without the resignation of the current board, the needs and perspectives of the faculty and student body cannot be properly represented by campus administration. ASMSU’s decision to support Engler and the board has further undermined our trust in the university and silenced the voice of the MSU community.

Over the past two decades, MSU’s administration not only didn’t hear student voices, but it actively ignored them. We are well past the listening phase.

Share and discuss “Letter: Board, ASMSU has not been transparent” on social media.