MSU President Simon and Trustee Foster attend Nassar's sentencing

<p>MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon (back middle) talks to MSU Board Trustee Melanie Foster at the second day of ex-MSU Dr. Larry Nassar's sentencing in Ingham County.</p>

MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon (back middle) talks to MSU Board Trustee Melanie Foster at the second day of ex-MSU Dr. Larry Nassar's sentencing in Ingham County.

Photo by Marie Weidmayer | The State News

MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon and Trustee Melanie Foster attended the second half of the second day of ex-MSU and USA Gymnastics Doctor Larry Nassar's sentencing in Ingham County.

Simon and other members of the Board of Trustees had previously said they considered attending the sentencing, but had decided against it, according to a Lansing State Journal article from Jan. 12.

Most of the survivors who have given statements partly blamed MSU for not stopping Nassar sooner. Survivor Larissa Boyce said she reported Nassar's abuse to MSU as early as 1997 and MSU did nothing.

MSU previously declined to comment on Nassar's case.

Tuesday, during the first day of Nassar's sentencing for seven charges of criminal sexual conduct, 29 women provided victim impact statements. Many blamed MSU for not stopping Nassar sooner.

Nassar's sentencing continues throughout the week, and any of Nassar's victims will have the chance to provide victim impact statements.

Follow Nassar's sentencing throughout the week via our Twitter and on our website.

Editor's note — This article was last updated Jan. 18 at 8:40 a.m. The only change made to the article was the addition of the embedded tweet.

Share and discuss “MSU President Simon and Trustee Foster attend Nassar's sentencing” on social media.