MSU Pres. Simon called on to resign by Michigan House of Reps

<p>Former MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon is pictured during the Board of Trustees meeting on Oct. 27, 2017 at the Hannah Administration Building. Simon resigned from her position in January 2018.&nbsp;</p>

Former MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon is pictured during the Board of Trustees meeting on Oct. 27, 2017 at the Hannah Administration Building. Simon resigned from her position in January 2018. 

Photo by Matt Schmucker | The State News

The Michigan House took up a resolution Wednesday afternoon calling for MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon to resign.

The vote passed 96-11.

“As leader of the university, President Simon is inherently responsible for perpetuating a sick culture that allowed a predator to continue molesting new young women and girls while also forcing his past victims to endure their suffering in silence. Her blatant failure to protect students from Nassar’s abuse proves that she is unfit to continue as president of the university, and must resign or be removed immediately,” State Representative Adam Zemke said in a press release. 

“Her lack of accountability and compassion for what happened to those girls is reprehensible, and if she felt any shred of the great responsibility she bears for these victims’ suffering, she would step down. If we are to have any hope of moving past this national embarrassment and creating a culture where all victims are heard and action is taken against abusers, then MSU must have a change in leadership. Simon must go.”

Following Gov. Rick Snyder's final State of the State address Tuesday night, multiple representatives called for Simon's resignation.

This resolution joins a chorus of people calling for Simon to step down, including MSU Board Trustee Mitch Lyons.

Ex-MSU and USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar was sentenced to a maximum of 175 years in prison Wednesday morning, following seven days of victim impact statements.

Stay with The State News for updates.

Share and discuss “MSU Pres. Simon called on to resign by Michigan House of Reps” on social media.