Nassar pleads guilty to three more counts of criminal sexual conduct

Larry Nassar listens to the judge during the plea hearing on Nov. 29, 2017, at the Eaton County Friend of Court. Nassar pleaded guilty to three counts.
Larry Nassar listens to the judge during the plea hearing on Nov. 29, 2017, at the Eaton County Friend of Court. Nassar pleaded guilty to three counts. —
Photo by Matt Schmucker | The State News

Ex-MSU and USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar pleaded guilty to three counts of criminal sexual conduct in Eaton County at a plea hearing Wednesday in Charlotte, Michigan. One of the three charges involves a victim under 13 years old.

Eaton County was the last court Nassar still had charges in — he pleaded guilty in federal court to three charges related to child pornography on July 11 and he pleaded guilty in Ingham County to seven counts of first degree criminal sexual conduct Nov. 22.

During Wednesday's plea hearing in Eaton County, Nassar entered a plea agreement. In addition to pleading guilty to three charges, Nassar agreed to a minimum sentence of 25-40 years for each count and a maximum sentence of life in prison. His sentencing will be subject to the court.

Nassar's sentencing for these charges will be held Jan. 31. Survivors of abuse will be allowed to speak before the sentencing and give victim impact statements. There are 125 women who have the potential to speak if they so choose.

As a part of this plea agreement, Nassar is also subject to lifetime electronic monitoring and Michigan's sex offender laws.

Nassar faced 13 charges in Eaton County. Per the plea deal, the Michigan Attorney General's office will dismiss four counts and will reduce the remaining six that Nassar did not plead guilty to.

The Attorney General's office will also no longer prosecute any other charges or child pornography not part of the federal case.

Angela Povilaitis, assistant attorney general and prosecutor in this case, said all 125 victims involved with this case and with the Ingham County case are aware and satisfied with the plea deal.

Unlike last week, Nassar did not make a statement after Wednesday's plea hearing. On Nov. 22, Nassar pleaded guilty to seven first degree criminal sexual conduct charges in Ingham County in November 2017, and his plea deal in that case is almost identical to Wednesday's plea deal. His sentencing for these charges, which could range from a minimum of 25-40 years to life in prison, is scheduled for Jan. 12, 2018.

Nassar is accused of sexually abusing more than 140 women and girls, ranging from local gymnasts to Olympic athletes, under the guise of medical treatment.

He was arrested in December 2016 on charges of possessing “at least 37,000” images of child pornography to which he pleaded guilty. His sentencing for the receipt, possession and destruction of child pornography is set for Dec. 7 in federal court. 

Nassar is also a defendant in nine lawsuits, all of which also list MSU, MSU's Board of Trustees and USA Gymnastics as defendants.

Share and discuss “Nassar pleads guilty to three more counts of criminal sexual conduct” on social media.