FINAL: Backed by strong running game, MSU squeezes by Minnesota 30-27

<p>Sophomore quarterback Bryan Lewerke (14) listens for a play call during the game against Michigan on Oct. 7, 2017 at Michigan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Wolverines, 14-10.</p>

Sophomore quarterback Bryan Lewerke (14) listens for a play call during the game against Michigan on Oct. 7, 2017 at Michigan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Wolverines, 14-10.

Photo by Jon Famurewa | The State News

There were plenty of mistakes, no doubt about that. The Spartans turned the ball over three different times. The end was a little dicey, having the MSU faithful nervous during Minnesota's final onside kick.

But there would be no hangover, and a win is a win for MSU, downing the Golden Gophers 30-27. The Spartans are still undefeated in the Big Ten, amassing a 3-0 record.

For the second straight game, MSU played amidst a downpour; the matchup started with a 34 minute lightning delay. 

And as the rain poured from the skies, its effect would be magnified on the game. After MSU's first possession, punter Jake Hartbarger missed the snap and the Gophers recovered right at the doorstep.

The Gophers wouldn't convert a touchdown, but they did get a field goal. And from there, the scoring was off.

The Spartans responded with a field goal of their own. Then after a Minnesota turnover, they scored a touchdown to stretch a lead.

The miscues were certainly there, the two teams combining for five turnovers.

Minnesota pitted for one last gasp to reach MSU, scoring 21 points in the final quarter. But the comeback attempt would fall short.

Welcome back, LJ Scott

After dressing for MSU's game against Michigan last week, tailback LJ Scott never saw the field. Following the upset win over Michigan, head coach Mark Dantonio said Scott was "nicked" up, though it wouldn't have any long-term consequences.

And Spartan fans were quickly reminded of the impact Scott can have on a football game. The junior rushed for a career-high 194 yards and a pair of touchdowns.

Scott's fumbling issues reared back its ugly head, but he quickly bounced back from it, scoring a touchdown. The running back displayed the good and the bad, all the while becoming MSU's first 100-yard rusher in a game this season.

Turnovers aplenty

The issue has been well-documented for Spartan fans, but turnovers reared back its ugly ahead again Saturday. Scott lost one, paired with Hartbarger's costly fumble after missing the snap.

Quarterback Brian Lewerke had an interception, and the Gophers cashed in on the extra chances, scoring 13 points off turnovers.

Minnesota had a pair of turnovers as well, takeaways for the defensive unit. But overall, amid the wet conditions, both offenses had key miscues.

Share and discuss “FINAL: Backed by strong running game, MSU squeezes by Minnesota 30-27” on social media.