FINAL: After shaky start, Spartans knock off Bowling Green 35-10

<p>Junior running back Madre London (28) carries the ball into the end zone for a touchdown during the game against Bowling Green on Sep. 2, 2017, at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Falcons, 35-10.&nbsp;</p>

Junior running back Madre London (28) carries the ball into the end zone for a touchdown during the game against Bowling Green on Sep. 2, 2017, at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Falcons, 35-10. 

Photo by Jon Famurewa | The State News

The Spartans started slow in their season opener on Saturday, but MSU was able to come away with a 35-10 victory over the Bowling Green Falcons.

The Falcons capitalized off LJ Scott's opening-drive fumble, scoring on a field goal to take an early 3-0 lead. But from there, it was the Spartans who took control of the game and came away with the win. 

Sophomore quarterback Brian Lewerke finished 22 of 33 for 250 yards and three touchdowns. The native of Phoenix, Arizona, added a team-high 69 yards rushing in the win. 

Sophomore wide receiver Darrell Stewart Jr. hauled in six passes for a team-high 85 yards, and Felton Davis III recorded 35 yards receiving and two touchdowns.

TURNOVERS: The Spartans fumbled the ball four times in Saturday’s contest, including twice in the first three drives for MSU that were both recovered by the Falcons. The fourth fumble came in the fourth quarter as running back LJ Scott lost control of the ball, and it was recovered by the Falcons for a 46-yard touchdown. Scott lost two fumbles in the win. 

BACHIE ON DEFENSE:  Sophomore linebacker Joe Bachie logged a team-high 10 tackles in the win for MSU, including four solo tackles. 

FOUNTAIN OF YOUTH: Freshman receivers Cam Chambers, Cody White, Laress Nelson and Hunter Rison all registered receptions on Saturday. Chambers led the freshmen receivers with one catch for 29 yards. 

SWEET COMEBACK: In his first game back from suffering a stroke, junior cornerback Tyson Smith picked off Bowling Green quarterback James Morgan, and returned it into the end zone for a 38-yard touchdown to put the Spartans up 35-3 in the third quarter after a made extra point by kicker Matt Coghlin. 

UP NEXT: MSU will face Western Michigan next Saturday at home at 3:30 ET.

Share and discuss “FINAL: After shaky start, Spartans knock off Bowling Green 35-10” on social media.