MSU's Marvin Clark and Javon Bess will transfer

Sophomore forward Marvin Clark Jr. shoots a ball during practice on March 17, 2016 at Scottrade Center in St. Louis, Mo.
Sophomore forward Marvin Clark Jr. shoots a ball during practice on March 17, 2016 at Scottrade Center in St. Louis, Mo. —
Photo by Sundeep Dhanjal | and Sundeep Dhanjal The State News

News broke Monday that MSU sophomore forwards Marvin Clark Jr. and Javon Bess will transfer schools.

The news was first reported by Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports.

MSU later confirmed the transfers to multiple media outlets.

Clark appeared in 30 of 35 contests for the Spartans during the 2015-16 season, averaging 3.9 rebounds and 2.5 rebounds in 9.7 minutes per game.

“I want to say that nothing can replace the experiences I gained while playing for Coach Izzo," Clark said in a press release. "I’ll always love and respect him for giving me the opportunity to put on a Spartan uniform. With that said, I do feel it’s in my best interests to find a new home to continue my college career.

“My time here has been unbelievable. From Spartan Nation supporting me and giving life to us on a nightly basis, to the teachings of the coaching staff and finally my teammates and the bonds of brotherhood we’ve developed, it’s been a great experience.”

Bess appeared in 32 games during the 2015-16 season, averaging 2.9 points and 2.3 rebounds in 11 minutes per game.

“My two years at Michigan State have been full of great memories and relationships that will last a lifetime," Bess said in a press release. "But after some great meetings with Coach Izzo following the season, I believe it’s in my best interests to seek an expanded role as I look elsewhere to continue my basketball career. I’d like to thank my teammates and coaches for all they’ve done for me. And a special thank you to Spartan fans for their support over the last two seasons.”

Although Bess and Clark will be leaving this offseason, MSU head basketball coach Tom Izzo said he wishes them nothing but the best.

“We wish Javon and Marvin nothing but the best in their careers," Izzo said in a press release. "Javon battled through injuries as a freshman and Marvin had similar adversity this year, but I’m confident they both have bright futures. I’m going to do whatever I can to help them find the right fit moving forward.”

The transfers of Bess and Clark opens up a pair of scholarships for the 2016-17 season. MSU is currently in the running for No. 1 overall recruit Josh Jackson, a 6-foot-7 wing and Detroit native who is currently down to his final three schools -- Arizona, Kansas and MSU.

Share and discuss “MSU's Marvin Clark and Javon Bess will transfer” on social media.