Downtown candy store and ice cream parlor slated to open Saturday

<p>Velvet, a candy store and ice cream parlor, is opening at 507 E. Grand River Ave. next to Bruegger's Bagels. The store will serve homemade ice cream, Mackinac Island fudge, coffee, cupcakes, brownies, cookies and candy. </p>

Velvet, a candy store and ice cream parlor, is opening at 507 E. Grand River Ave. next to Bruegger's Bagels. The store will serve homemade ice cream, Mackinac Island fudge, coffee, cupcakes, brownies, cookies and candy. 

Velvet, a candy store and ice cream parlor on 507 E Grand River Ave., next to Bruegger’s Bagels, is set to open Saturday with limited offerings.

Co-owner and MSU alumnus Erik Berakovich said the goal is to have a “soft opening” this Saturday, July 18, with a "grand opening" on Sept. 12, the same day as MSU football's home opener against Oregon.

Erik Berakovich said the store will open not fully staffed or stocked will all products for the Saturday opening, but will remain open and operational afterward as they prepare for the Sept. 12 opening. 

Velvet is a family owned and operated company that will serve homemade ice cream made daily in-store, Mackinac Island fudge, coffee, cupcakes, brownies, cookies and candy.

Co-owners and spouses Erik Berakovich and Trisha Berakovich previously owned Velvet stores on Mackinac Island and in Harbor Springs, but were forced to close shop due to the seasonality of both locations.

“The problem was the season was so short up there, so we wanted a year-round market where we could raise a family as well as have a store that could service our customers 12 months a year,” said Erik Berakovich.

Share and discuss “Downtown candy store and ice cream parlor slated to open Saturday” on social media.