Penn set to return to teaching for spring 2014 semester

MSU English professor William Penn, infamous for his alleged anti-Republican rant during the first week of classes, will return to his teaching responsibilities next semester.

Penn is set to teach both Introduction to Fiction Writing and Advanced Fiction Writing during the spring semester. Introduction to Fiction Writing currently is at full capacity, with all 25 spots filled.

“Professor William Penn will be assigned to teach two small courses next semester in creative writing,” MSU spokesman Kent Cassella said in a statement. “In the meantime, as part of MSU’s commitment to create a learning environment characterized by mutual respect and civility, a faculty committee created by Academic Governance continues to review the responsibilities of faculty members and the impact of social media on teaching and learning. Their report is due in early 2014.”

Following his comments, Penn was removed from teaching responsibilities for the semester with continued pay.

Penn’s rant included attacks on older Republicans, stating “they don’t want to pay taxes because they have already raped this country and gotten everything out of it they possibly could.”

The spring semester begins Jan. 6, 2014.

Share and discuss “Penn set to return to teaching for spring 2014 semester” on social media.