Friday, September 27, 2024

State obesity rate expected to rise; MSU remains healthy

Michigan’s manufacturing sector is expected to continue growing during the next few years. At the same time, something else in Michigan is expected to grow at a high rate as well ­­­— the people.

If obesity rates stay on their current pace, obesity amongst Michigan adults is expected to reach 59.4 percent from the current 31.3 percent by 2030, according to a report released Tuesday by Trust for America’s Health and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.

But numbers at MSU show a different story. According to the most recent university health study issued in 2010, 32.5 percent of students were overweight — of those, only 9.8 percent were considered obese.

Although the numbers are two years old, university health experts say there still are very few cases of obesity in the student population; in fact, they say they are more concerned about students losing too much weight.

Olin Health Center educator Jon Kermiet said he is not phased by the newest numbers for Michigan.

“If you look at our (student) population, you don’t see obesity being an issue on our campus,” Kermiet said.

Since the percentage of obesity at MSU is well below the 2011 state average, Kermiet said he is actually more concerned about healthy students losing too much weight.

Olin Health Center nutritionist and dietician Ronda Bokram said nearly 50 percent of students who diet and exercise to lose weight are possibly harming themselves.

“Seventy percent (of our students) are not overweight,” Bokram said. “Because we are in a culture that is very focused on weight, some students think they need to lose weight when in reality they don’t.”

Finance sophomore Zach Hunter, who works out seven days a week, is one of the many MSU students who put themselves on a rigorous workout program. Although he said it helps relieves stress, he also strives for the image that comes with working out.

“For me, at least, when I see bigger guys, it’s not much of a respect, but you look at them and say ‘Wow, I kind of want to be like that,’” Hunter said in his sweat-drenched shirt, after getting out of his basketball class at IM Sports-Circle. “And I also don’t know if this is true, but sometimes the bigger guys get the girls.”

Kermiet said dieting is not the most beneficial way to be healthy, and he advises overweight students to exercise rather than alter their eating habits.

“(Exercising) is better than dieting (because it) speeds up metabolism,” Kermiet said. “And with that you also burn calories at rest, and obviously at a higher rate when you get active.”

Bokram also said she is skeptical of some health programs, and she urges students to do their homework when it comes to weight loss.

“People just assume you can go online (to fix your problems),” Bokram said. “Just because Oprah (Winfrey) and Dr. Oz say it doesn’t mean it’s true; just research it.”

Share and discuss “State obesity rate expected to rise; MSU remains healthy” on social media.