Spartans to meet Iowa on road

Junior outside hitter Amy Dentlinger blocks a ball Wednesday at Jenison Field House. The Spartans defeated the Michigan Wolverines 3-1. Matt Radick/The State News
Junior outside hitter Amy Dentlinger blocks a ball Wednesday at Jenison Field House. The Spartans defeated the Michigan Wolverines 3-1. Matt Radick/The State News —
Photo by State News file photo | and Matt Radick The State News

After dropping a match Wednesday against No. 6 Nebraska, the No. 24 volleyball team looks to earn a much-needed Big Ten win against Iowa.

The Spartans (13-2 overall, 1-2 Big Ten) are headed to Iowa City, Iowa, to face the Hawkeyes (8-7 overall, 0-2 Big Ten) 8 p.m. on Saturday.

The Spartans started the season 12-0, but have hit a rough patch against tough opponents and have gone 1-2 in their last three games.

Junior outside hitter Lauren Wicinski, who had 13 kills against Nebraska, will look to jump-start the offensive attack early with senior outside hitter Amy Dentlinger, who contributed Wednesday with 10 kills.

The Spartans started Wednesdays match down 8-4, then later let the Cornhuskers slip away to a 19-10 lead in set one. The Spartans played catch-up the entire first two sets, but regained their composure in the third set.

If the Spartans start the game on top, they won’t have to worry about making up ground the whole night.

The Spartans also will see a shorter lineup from Iowa than Nebraska, who listed seven players 6 feet 2 inches or taller. The Hawkeyes only have two players who are at least 6 feet 2 inches.

An MSU victory will not only give them their second Big Ten victory, but it also will be Cathy George’s 500th win.

Share and discuss “Spartans to meet Iowa on road” on social media.