Conversation group allows international cultures to blend

East Lansing resident Kat Chamberlain, right, from Taipei, Taiwan, speaks to graduate student Aaron Sun, from Dalian, China, on Wednesday, August 1, 2012, at "Practice Your English," an English speaking class held on Wednesday evenings at the East Lansing Public Library, 950 Abbot Rd. Sun said the class is very interesting becuase he likes to talk to people and learn about their cultures. Samantha Radecki/The State News
East Lansing resident Kat Chamberlain, right, from Taipei, Taiwan, speaks to graduate student Aaron Sun, from Dalian, China, on Wednesday, August 1, 2012, at "Practice Your English," an English speaking class held on Wednesday evenings at the East Lansing Public Library, 950 Abbot Rd. Sun said the class is very interesting becuase he likes to talk to people and learn about their cultures. Samantha Radecki/The State News —
Photo by Samantha Radecki | and Samantha Radecki The State News

Not often does Mary Hennessey have to explain the concept of pasta salad to a group of people.
But when seven different countries are represented in one room, even the little aspects of American culture are interesting.

Last Wednesday’s meeting of the Practice Your English program at the East Lansing Public Library, 950 Abbot Road, was a potluck-style celebration to say goodbye to a group of program attendees who are going back to Japan after three months in America.

“People really like learning about each other’s cultures and meeting other international students,” Hennessey, the founder and facilitator of the program, said. “Programs like this help people build understanding among different cultures and nationalities. They can go back home and say, ‘Oh, I met someone from there; they were really nice.’”

The Practice Your English program serves as a forum where international residents and students can come learn the language in a safe and depressurized environment, weekly attendee Norma Bauer said.

“I think they’ll go back to their home country and say they were treated with respect and learned a little bit about English in a friendly, relaxed atmosphere,” Bauer said. “They got to learn English gently. Classes can be stressful, but this is always fun.”

For international student Ryosuke Norota, who is only at MSU for a short time, the program not only helped him speak English better, but enriched his experience while he was here.

“I have mixed emotions (about going back),” Norota said. “I have family in Japan, and I will be happy to meet with them, but I want to stay here more. Only three months was a little short.”

The program started in January of 2011 to help the large community of international students in East Lansing and has only grown since, Hennessey said.

“So many international students came asking about (English as a Second Language), and we didn’t have a class at the time, but a lot of the students came to the library, so we saw a need for something,” Hennessey said. “That’s what’s so great about East Lansing … we have such a large multicultural presence here. It’s so interesting and unique.”

Moroccan participant Leila Smith said although a number of nationalities are represented in the club, more English speakers would be beneficial.

“There is a very beautiful relationship between the people here … so many different countries (come) together to learn and practice English,” Smith said. “There are not many American people here; I’d like it if more American people came. I want … to know more about American life. It helps you practice.”

For Bauer, a fluent English speaker, the program is a cultural experience that anyone in the East Lansing community can benefit from.

“So many times people go abroad and see buildings. I don’t care about buildings; I care about people,” Bauer said. “On a tour bus, you don’t get to know a culture. Here, I can talk to people from other countries and they actually like it … I’ve learned so much.”

Share and discuss “Conversation group allows international cultures to blend” on social media.