Live taping of 'The ShoW' inspires seniors to reminisce

When he arrived at MSU as a premedical freshman, media arts and technology senior Jordan Leer never expected to find his place as a member of the MSU Telecasters — nor did he expect that he’d have a main role on “The ShoW,” the longest-running college sitcom, which is run completely by MSU students.

“I came here feeling really overwhelmed,” said Leer, who also helps produce “The ShoW.” “I was so clueless. I didn’t know you could actually go to school for something like this.”

Now, after shooting his last live public taping of “The ShoW” on Saturday afternoon in the Communication Arts and Sciences Building, Leer realizes how much he’s grown since he became a part of the sitcom.

“I learned how to open up and act weird in front of people,” he said. “When you’re acting, you’re still completely being yourself, and I’ve just started accepting that.”

Although “The ShoW” — which comically details the lives of six undergraduate students who live in Wilson Hall — used to host a live audience up to four times a year, it now hosts one live taping every year. Media arts and technology senior Andrew Zeko, the sitcom’s executive producer and director, said the event helps the actors interact with the crowd and gives graduating seniors something to look forward to.

“It helps preserve the uniqueness of the show, and it’s just a nice cap to the year,” he said. “It’s a nice thing for the seniors to have for their very last episode.”

Brighton, Mich., resident Matt Riesterer, who decided to come to the event after catching a few episodes online, said the taping gave him a sense of who the actors are as people as well as characters.

“It was interesting to see them in person and off camera,” he said. “You realize that although they’re in character, they’re still normal people that you’d meet on the streets.”

After graduation, Leer said he will miss the show’s family-like atmosphere.

“I came here with wide eyes and a little nervous, but now it’s complete comfort,” he said. “I will miss doing good work for people and having it returned.”

Share and discuss “Live taping of 'The ShoW' inspires seniors to reminisce” on social media.