RCAH Council to help student artists make sales

Junior art education and arts and humanities student Emily Nott looks at a mural that high school students are creating at REACH Art Studio, Lansing. Nott has volunteered at REACH once a week since August 2011.  Jaclyn McNeal/The State News
Junior art education and arts and humanities student Emily Nott looks at a mural that high school students are creating at REACH Art Studio, Lansing. Nott has volunteered at REACH once a week since August 2011. Jaclyn McNeal/The State News —
Photo by Jaclyn McNeal | and Jaclyn McNeal The State News

Ever since she can recall, Allison Lanese has loved art.

“I can’t remember a day that I have not wanted to have some sort of art supply in my hand,” she said. “I’ve always been interested in art.”

Throughout her time as an artist, the Residential College in the Arts and Humanities, or RCAH, and studio art junior has produced many pieces, but she has not had many opportunities to showcase them.

But on Friday, she will have the chance to display and sell several of her pieces at the RCAH Council Art Sale and Coffee House, which will take place from 2-4 p.m. Friday in the LookOut! Gallery of Snyder and Phillips halls.

“It’s another way to get my art out there as well as get a little money in my wallet,” Lanese said. “I definitely want to show other people what I’ve been working on.”

In addition to Lanese’s artwork, which includes several ceramic bowls and mugs, items created by other RCAH students will be for sale, including paintings, photographs, ceramics and books.

Refreshments also will be available, and entertainment will be provided by Bard Owls, a folk band made up of RCAH students.

“It gives (students) really good exposure, because they have an opportunity to share their art,” RCAH Councilmember Haley Carr said. “A lot of people will walk through the LookOut! Gallery … and see new names they don’t recognize.”

Carr said most of the art is reasonably priced, which makes the sale ideal for students who might not be able to splurge on decorations for their dorm room or apartment.

“Who doesn’t want cheap art in their home?” she said.

RCAH junior Emily Nott, who has about 20 pieces in the sale, including several oil paintings and collages, said she is pleased to have some of her art chosen to be a part of the sale.

“It’s exciting for me, because seeing your work in a space, especially a beautiful space like the LookOut! Gallery — it’s very gratifying,” she said. “It’s validating as an artist.”

Nott said she created some of the pieces years ago and is excited to be able to put them to good use and potentially make a profit off of them, which will help her purchase more supplies for future works.

“Some of them are older pieces, which is why it’s nice,” she said. “As an artist, you’re constantly producing so much work, and it has no place to go.”

Nott said being a part of this exhibit is different from many others she has participated in because of the opportunity she has to interact with other artists and viewers.

“It’s very much going to be a living thing,” she said. “We will be talking about the art and viewing each other’s art in a way that’s very active. Not all art shows have that.”

Lanese also said she is excited to be able to enjoy the work of her classmates, which she rarely gets the chance to see.

“It’s cool that we get to see artwork from the RCAH artists,” she said. “I know there are a lot of artists (in the college), but we’re not really featured for our art very much. It’s nice to see what everyone else is up to.”

Share and discuss “RCAH Council to help student artists make sales” on social media.