Whirlwind celebrity romances simply set standard for divorce

What girl out there doesn’t love to imagine her dream wedding? From the moment the backpack is strapped on their shoulders on the first day of school, little girls are predisposed to daydream of ball gowns, veils and cakes with white icing stacked high to the ceiling ­— and don’t forget the picturesque plastic bride and groom perched on the very top.

But out of the millions of little girls out there letting their imaginations run wild with matrimonial fantasies, I’d be willing to bet not a single one of them considers the expense of the future heartbreak of separation, which is a shame these days since nearly half of marriages end in divorce.

But a dream wedding comes at a big price, especially considering the divorce that might possibly follow. The stresses of both take a toll on the mind, as well as the wallet.

When it comes to shelling out major bucks on marriages and separations, two recent celebrity divorces come to mind: that of singer Katy Perry and British actor Russell Brand, who barely made it past the one-year mark, and reality TV star Kim Kardashian and pro athlete Kris Humphries, who lasted a measly two months as a married couple. Both claimed to have what the light of heart call a “whirlwind” romance. Both spent millions on lavish dream weddings. And, in my opinion, both couples wasted a ridiculous amount of money.

Perry and Brand made their first public appearance together in October 2009, and they announced their engagement four months later. Kardashian and Humphries began dating in October 2010, and within six months, Humphries put a ring on it — and not a small ring by any means.

I think I’m beginning to see a pattern here.

As can be expected, a domino effect follows. Each couple ties the knot after less than a year and, following the trend, splits up after a year or less. Millions of dollars and four broken hearts later, each of them have nothing to show for it.

I cannot claim to know all the scoop on other people’s relationships, but from an outside perspective, it looks like both couples focused so much of their attention on falling in love fast that they let it hinder them from making their relationship last. They didn’t bother thinking long-term.

When two people first begin dating, they play up their good qualities and hide the bad ones in the closet until later — if two people become so entirely infatuated with each other, they let their passion get in the way of truly knowing each other.

My philosophy is you should try on the clothing before you buy it because only time and careful consideration will tell if the garment is the right fit. The perfect “article of clothing” will stand the test of time. My point is, some couples can go years without completely knowing the person they’re with, and accomplishing that feat in less than a year is next to impossible. It takes enough time for one person to let their guard down, let alone two.

And you need to know a person before you marry them — if you plan on making it last, that is. When handsome grooms and blushing brides exchange vows at the altar, they promise to remain faithful to one another for the rest of their lives. It is a serious undertaking that can lead to misery on part of both parties if they do not truly know each other and love everything they see for better or worse.

I’m not saying that people shouldn’t get married or live extravagantly. Simply put, the lives the two couples — and most likely several others in the limelight — lead is capable of creating a catastrophe in the rest of society. They project the idea that it’s perfectly natural to rush a relationship and waste money in the process.

Although it was most likely unintentional, their example teaches those young girls that true love can be found and fully developed in the time allotted for a summer vacation. It teaches them that it is acceptable to splurge in split second decisions without considering what consequences possibly might follow.

But what should the example of Perry and Kardashian’s divorces teach them?

Money cannot buy love.

True love and companionship take time and an immeasurable amount of effort to thrive. It can’t be rushed or pressured. It cannot be duplicated with the upsweep of gorgeous weddings and real-life Barbie dream houses. It’s either the real thing or it’s not, and no amount of fast cash can change that.

Share and discuss “Whirlwind celebrity romances simply set standard for divorce” on social media.