Award season: Entertainment that deserves a shiny gold globe

With 2012 already in full swing, it can be easy to forget about 2011 while keeping busy making plans for the new year.

But members of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association find it important to recognize those who made 2011 a year to remember — and they do it by presenting icons with a shiny gold globe.

Yes, it’s time again for the Golden Globe Awards, which will be presented Sunday in Beverly Hills, Calif.

A few of this year’s nominees include my favorite stars and movies, while others leave me wondering why they were nominated in the first place.

Best motion picture — drama:

Nominated:
“The Descendants”
“The Help”
“Hugo”
“The Ides of March”
“Moneyball”
“War Horse”

Should win: “The Descendants”

Although I have not actually seen my predicted victor for the best motion picture drama, it took reading just a few lines of the movie’s description for me to know it’s a winner.

Not only is this production up for best motion picture, but it also has been nominated for an award in four other categories — best director, best actor in a leading role, best actress in a supporting role and best screenplay — signifying how successful it must be.

“The Descendants,” which was released in November 2011, has all the major components of a compelling drama — an affair, a complicated father-daugther relationship and death.

The story focuses on real estate lawyer Matt King, who is played by George Clooney, and the obstacles he faces after his wife — who he later learns was having an affair — becomes comatose due to a boating accident.

On top of his wife’s infidelity and tragic medical state, King also is faced with a major real estate deal and the difficulty of reconnecting with his two daughters.

Hopefully Clooney’s involvement in this film also will help him beat the stiff competition in the best performance by an actor in a motion picture drama category.

Best motion picture — comedy or musical:

Nominated:
“50/50”
“The Artist”
“Bridesmaids”
“Midnight in Paris”
“My Week with Marilyn”

Should win: “Bridesmaids”

I can’t think of a film more deserving of the best comedic motion picture title than “Bridesmaids.”

Not only did this production gross more than $25 million during its opening weekend, but it was the movie to see this summer among all of my friends.

At first I was skeptical because the film revolves around a woman in love and her closest friends, but “Bridemaids” is not your typical chick-flick, and I found myself laughing harder than I ever have while watching a movie.

After Kristen Wiig’s character Annie is dubbed the maid of honor for her best friend’s wedding, her already unsatisfactory life continues to spin out of control as she struggles to be the perfect bridesmaid.

And while watching Annie’s downfall was slightly depressing at times, it was mostly entertaining — really, really entertaining.

Wiig’s exceptionally hilarious performance in “Bridesmaids” earned her widespread fame and hopefully the award of best performance by an actress in a comedy.

Best TV series — drama:

Nominated:
“American Horror Story”
“Boardwalk Empire”
“Boss”
“Game of Thrones”
“Homeland”

Should win: “American Horror Story”

Nothing screams Golden Globe Nominee like a well-scripted, cringe-inducing dramatic TV series.

“American Horror Story,” which was created by the producers of the popular comedy series “Glee,” takes spooky ghost tales to an entirely new level.

The Harmon family relocates from their home in Boston to a mansion — which they later discover is haunted — in Los Angeles. The characters struggle to cope with countless twists and scandals, including a haunted housekeeper, a suicide and a miscarriage.

The gruesome and terrifying show is a guaranteed winner, not only because of the overall quality of it, but also because of the lack of competition in this category. To me, none of the other nominees even stand out as a possible contender to “American Horror Story.”

Best TV series — comedy or musical:

Nominated:
“Enlightened”
“Episodes”
“Glee”
“Modern Family”
“New Girl”

Should win: “Modern Family”

I predict the already-popular “Modern Family” likely will continue on its road to success with a victory in the best comedic TV series category. The show was a hit when it first came out in 2009 and still is more than two years later.

The show and its actors have been nominated for multiple awards since its premiere, including several Emmy, Golden Globe and People’s Choice awards nominations.

Focusing on the lives of three contemporary families, the show provides its viewers with a satirical look at the struggles of its characters and the amusing ways in which they deal with them.

Although “New Girl,” another nominee which premiered in 2011, has seemed to have created quite the buzz during its first season, I don’t think it has become favored enough to top “Modern Family.” When it comes down to it, I don’t think any of the other nominees in this category even come close to the success of “Modern Family.”

Share and discuss “Award season: Entertainment that deserves a shiny gold globe” on social media.