Golf outing raises money for area animal shelter

Mason resident Thalia Richards, 11, plays with the cats after volunteering on Saturday at the Ingham County Animal Shelter. Richards, who said she wants to go to MSU to become a veterinarian, tries to volunteer as much as she can at the shelter. Josh Radtke/The State News
Mason resident Thalia Richards, 11, plays with the cats after volunteering on Saturday at the Ingham County Animal Shelter. Richards, who said she wants to go to MSU to become a veterinarian, tries to volunteer as much as she can at the shelter. Josh Radtke/The State News —
Photo by Josh Radtke | and Josh Radtke The State News

After Penelope Tsernoglou adopted a dog from the Ingham County Animal Control and Shelter this year, she knew she wanted to help other animals in need.

About six years ago when she volunteered daily at the shelter, 600 Curtis St. in Mason, there was no fund to help care for the abandoned animals volunteers took in. Sometimes, volunteers would pay for sick animals’ medical expenses out of pocket.

“A lot of the veterinary services, they just weren’t available,” Tsernoglou said. “If the animals weren’t doing well, they either had to be taken by foster rescues or were put to sleep.”

As Tsernoglou and other golfers trekked across the green Saturday morning, dogs at the Ingham County Animal Control and Shelter waited for their daily walk. Miles apart, the golfers helped care for dogs and cats at the shelter by participating in the outing at College Fields Golf Club, 3800 Hagadorn Road, in Okemos.

The proceeds will help pay for food, shelter and veterinary care for the animals.

Around 40 golfers attended and about $3,000 was raised for the shelter through participation and sponsorships, said Jessica McNally, a clerk at the shelter.

“We’re just happy to support the animal shelter,” said James Ensign, a golfer and St. Johns resident. “Obviously, they’re providing a need for the whole county and community.”

The charity outing was more than another chance for participants to practice their golf skills, the club’s Head Golf Professional Chris Hallead said.

“If we get to help with fundraisers, it’s a pleasure for us because it’s a way to help the community as well,” Hallead said.

With the Animal Care Fund, sick dogs and cats in the shelter have access to medical treatment — a step in the process of adoption.

The additional money from the fundraiser will help, especially as more and more animals are being admitted to the shelter, McNally said.

“We have a lot of animals brought in,” she said. “We (are) at full capacity.”

More than 3,500 animals are helped at the shelter each year, such as Honey Bear, a tan pitbull and Lipstick, a yellow-eyed cat, who are currently up for adoption.

“All those animals before probably wouldn’t have had a chance without (the Animal Care Fund),” Tsernoglou said. “So I think it helps a lot.”

Share and discuss “Golf outing raises money for area animal shelter” on social media.