Hansen honored for senior season

<p>Senior shortstop Lindsey Hansen chases down Indiana outfielder Heather Nelson after she found herself in a pickle between first and second base. The Spartans lost the April 23 game to Indiana 7-2. </p>

Senior shortstop Lindsey Hansen chases down Indiana outfielder Heather Nelson after she found herself in a pickle between first and second base. The Spartans lost the April 23 game to Indiana 7-2.

Photo by State News file photo | The State News

MSU softball senior shortstop Lindsey Hansen was named a 2011 Louisville Slugger/National Fastpitch Coaches Association, or NFCA, Division I All-American, the association announced Wednesday. For her outstanding final season performance for MSU, Hansen received a third-team at-large shortstop selection.

She is the Spartans’ first NFCA All-American since 2004 and is the program’s seventh All-American overall — sixth of those recognized under head coach Jacquie Joseph.

“This honor is something that Lindsey has earned over the course of the season,” Joseph said in a release on the athletics department’s website. “I have said all along that (Hansen) may be one of the greatest players that has ever come through Michigan State, and this certainly speaks volumes to success she had on the field.

“(Hansen) will be deeply missed by the team next year, both on and off the field.”

Hansen finished the season with a .404 batting average, and she is only the fourth player in program history to finish a season with an average of .400 or better.

In 54 games this season, Hansen broke both the program’s single-season home run record and the career home run record with 20 for the season and 42 total. She is also at the top in single-season RBIs at 56 and runs scored with 53.

In addition to being named an All-American for the season, she was honored as a first-team All-Great Lakes Region player and a second-team All-Big Ten selection.

Share and discuss “Hansen honored for senior season” on social media.