Volleyball gets back on track with road win

In another edition of The State News sports podcast, the sports desk discusses a variety of MSU sports while football is on a bye week. Along with sports editor Chris Vannini, football reporter Jeremy Warnemuende discusses the No. 2 men’s basketball team, which beat Eastern Michigan, 96-66, on Friday at Breslin Center.

Men’s soccer and ice hockey reporter Pat Evans talks about the soccer team’s chances of making the NCAA Tournament and the hockey team’s inability to hold a lead. Meanwhile, field hockey and volleyball reporter Michelle Martinelli discusses the future of the field hockey team after the Spartans fell in overtime to Virginia, 3-2, in the first round of the NCAA Tournament and also touches on the MSU volleyball team, which is in the home stretch of its season.

Hungry for its first conference road win since November 2008, the MSU volleyball team broke its six-match losing streak, defeating Iowa, 3-0, on the road Friday.

The Spartans (12-15 overall, 4-12 Big Ten) were led by junior outside hitter Jenilee Rathje, who put down 20 kills. Sophomore outside hitter Amy Dentlinger followed up with 11. The team was able to put away 50 total kills with the help of freshman setter Kristen Kelsay and junior setter Natalie Emro, who had 31 and 13 assists, respectively.

Despite the win, the Hawkeyes (7-18 overall, 2-14 Big Ten) out-blocked MSU, 9-5.

In its second road match of the weekend, MSU took No. 22 Minnesota to five games on Saturday, but ultimately lost, 3-2.

Again, the Spartans were out-blocked, 17-10, but both teams put down 67 total kills on the night. Rathje continued to lead the team with 16 kills, and Dentlinger remained right behind her with 12, her season high.

MSU returns to Jenison Field House next weekend, when it hosts Indiana and Purdue. To remain eligible for the NCAA Tournament, the Spartans must win all four of their remaining matches.

Share and discuss “Volleyball gets back on track with road win” on social media.