Friday, September 27, 2024

Rest of America just as patriotic as Tea Party

Matt Manning

Two-thousand and ten has been a very eventful year thus far. President Barack Obama, who has been heavily criticized for promising change and bringing little, has completely revamped health care, signed nuclear accords to reduce arms and also begun efforts to further rein in bankers on Wall Street.

But the president hasn’t been the only one hard at work. The once small Tea Party movement also has gained much political ground, and quickly is becoming a loud, yet relevant force in national politics.

According to a recent CBS poll done to coincide with the massive protests from Tea Partiers on tax day, Tea Party supporters represent about 18 percent of Americans and typically are wealthier and more educated than the average American. When asked about their feelings about politics in Washington, most Republicans responded saying that they were “dissatisfied” while Tea Party supporters replied saying they were “angry.” In general, 90 percent of Tea Party supporters disapprove the direction the country is heading, compared with 60 percent of the general public.

Across the decentralized movement, opinions greatly differ, but many have accused supporters of intimidation, racism and downright immaturity. One needs look no further than any protests in which they have been involved to see examples of how one could come to these conclusions: from racial and homophobic chants to provoking shouting matches with members of Congress to a recent incident where a Tea Party supporter began to berate and throw dollar bills at a man with Parkinson’s disease because of his support for the health care bill. According to the polling, Tea Party supporters are supposed to represent the more educated and wealthier portion of Americans, and yet their actions many times can be confused with nothing more than uneducated, hypocritical, nonsensical babble.

The movement was founded on the belief that the country was heading in the wrong direction and that the founders would be displeased with what is happening in the country. They believe in the infallibility of the Constitution, yet some of the “leaders” of the Tea Party also have called for people to not fill out their Census because they feel that the Census is too intrusive. However, the Constitution mandates that a decennial Census take place. Don’t pick and choose which parts of the Constitution you like because certain parts don’t fit your agenda. Fortunately, most members of the Tea Party haven’t heeded this advice, with 97 percent of them stating that they would or have already completed the Census.

Although the Tea Party movement began as a grassroots effort, many parts of the movement are far disconnected from their humble origins. At the National Tea Party Convention, tickets were sold for $549 per head, and the keynote speaker, Sarah Palin, was paid $100,000. For a group devoted to cutting wasteful spending and fighting against the evils of liberal elitism, this evening was a little different from what they attest to hate.

I don’t believe any of the Tea Partiers to be evil or awful human beings. Many of their goals such as reducing the national deficit and maintaining American global dominance are undeniably important. They act within the intent of our Constitution. With that said, shouting racial slurs at members of Congress and going on Twitter to spout tiny tirades for your nine followers to read are not the solutions to solving any of the problems of our country. Some of the outrageous behavior seen within the Tea Party might represent the fringes of the group, but angry and loud leave a real sour taste.

Whether you disagree or agree with the president is irrelevant. Being civil in the manner in which you reflect these opinions is the most important thing. Although the Tea Party movement has gained steam during the past year, if it continues to protest in the loud, obnoxious, “we’ll send you mean letters and call you un-American if you disagree with us” manner that it currently does, it will not continue growing as it has. Eighteen percent of Americans identify themselves as Tea Party supporters; the fact remains that 82 percent of America does not see the world or the country the same way as they do. Calling the remaining 82 percent of America un-American for disagreeing seems a bit counterintuitive, kind of like saying that real America exists and that in real America the opinions are just better, more just and the panacea to our problems.

Matt Manning is a State News guest columnist and international relations junior. Reach him at mannin84@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Rest of America just as patriotic as Tea Party” on social media.