MSU biofuel grant a positive step for clean, healthy energy

I’m glad to see that MSU received a grant to work with biofuels, because it could provide the opportunity to stop using coal at the T.B. Simon Power Plant.

As someone who has personally had to carry around an inhaler for the vast majority of my life, and couldn’t even go to school for weeks at a time because my asthma was so bad, I know how important clean air is. The fact that I live in Holden Hall, which is directly across the street from the coal-fired power plant, is something that scares me daily. It doesn’t help that when I step outside of my dorm, I can literally see the pollutants being emitted from the power plant. But what scares me even more is that there are thousands of other people living here who are completely unaware of how harmful the air they’re breathing in really is.

MSU’s own mission statement reads “Our cross and interdisciplinary enterprises connect the sciences, humanities and professions in practical, sustainable and innovative ways to address society’s rapidly changing needs.” Well, societies’ needs have changed. What we need to do is actually address these changes rather than putting them off. What we need to do is truly go green.

Talya Tavor,
English sophomore

Share and discuss “MSU biofuel grant a positive step for clean, healthy energy” on social media.