Students, faculty gather to show support for deaf education program

From left, Melissa Rich, Michigan Deaf Association Representative and Freida Morrison, Michigan School for the Deaf Alumni Association president, use sign language to signify clapping during a protest against a proposal to discontinue American Sign Language courses at MSU held Friday outside the Administration Building. Hannah Engelson/The State News

Photo by Hannah Engelson | The State News

When Cathy Leonard first heard about the recommended elimination of MSU’s Deaf Education Teacher Certification program, she did not believe it.

The 43-year-old deaf education sophomore’s initial shock to the announcement turned to anger and confusion as she questioned MSU officials’ decision to possibly cut the program.

Leonard, who is deaf, joined about 100 MSU students, faculty and members of the deaf community at the Administration Building Friday to protest the program’s possible elimination.

“How can MSU cut this program?” Leonard said through an interpreter. “I don’t understand it. I know they’re having money issues and things from A to Z, but the deaf student’s benefit is what’s more important here.”

The recommendation, as well as a proposal to discontinue all American Sign Language classes, will be sent to academic governance for input, according to a message sent to students enrolled in ASL courses or the teaching program obtained by The State News.

In the messages, Susan Dalebout, the College of Education’s academic student affairs director and certification officer, told students that those who are currently enrolled in the teaching certificate program or admitted this spring will be allowed to complete their program and be recommended for certification if finished by summer 2013.

Students who submitted an application this fall will be considered for admission, but would need to complete a modified program to meet certification requirements, according to the messages.

Dalebout could not be reached for comment.

Chris Greene-Szmadzinski, an ASL instructor who attended Friday’s rally, said he is not as concerned for his job as he is for Michigan’s deaf children.

“My job here at MSU, sure, it’s in jeopardy, but I’m not worried,” Greene-Szmadzinski said. “There’s such a demand for ASL instructors. There’s such a demand for people in American Sign Language in different professions, so I’m safe. The people who work here in this college are going to be OK. The problem is the deaf kids are not going to be OK because by closing this program, you’re impacting the people who were training to take on those positions.”

Students, such as deaf education senior Melissa Littlefield, will have an opportunity to complete the program, but it will come with a price.

Littlefield said she will need to take a full summer course load and juggle her classes and an internship in the same academic year.

“It’s going to be tight,” Littlefield said. “You have to get a 3 or higher in each of the classes. If you happen to slip up or something happens, you’re out. You can’t make up a course. You can’t do anything. You have one shot, so it’s very nerve-wracking.”

Share and discuss “Students, faculty gather to show support for deaf education program” on social media.