Volleyball team prepares for what could be final home game

After receiving several quality performances in Wednesday’s 3-2 loss at No. 14 Michigan, the MSU volleyball team will hope to build off that showing but get a different result Saturday when it hosts No. 12 Minnesota in what is likely the team’s final home game of the season.

Senior middle blockers Vanessa King and Mischelle Nelson will be honored after the match in their final home contest. King and Nelson have contributed much in their respective careers, with King leading the team in kills, blocks and hitting percentage last season and Nelson contributing a lot defensively and also compiling a solid hitting percentage.

“We’ve been together for four years, and we’ve been through a lot of ups and downs,” head coach Cathy George said earlier this week. “We’re thankful for all of the hard work and time that the seniors have put in.”

MSU battled the Golden Gophers to a 3-2 loss on Oct. 23 and is hoping to get a victory in Saturday’s match to improve its standing in the Big Ten and make a case for postseason play.

George said the team calmed down in its passing game and got its offense going in Wednesday’s loss. The Spartans were down 2-1 but impressively tied the match with a 25-17 victory in the fourth set.

However, the loss dropped them to 5-12 in the conference and 17-12 overall.

Sophomore outside hitter Becca Zlabis recorded a match-high 20 kills, while sophomore middle blocker Kyndra Abron and junior outside hitter Megan Schatzle had 12 kills apiece.

Schatzle had missed the majority of last weekend’s games with a foot injury, but played most of Wednesday’s match.

Saturday’s game is set for 8 p.m. and will be tape delayed on Big Ten Network, expected to air Sunday at 6 p.m.

Share and discuss “Volleyball team prepares for what could be final home game” on social media.