Midfielder Mueller makes her mark on starting lineup

Freshman midfielder Jordan Mueller fights for the ball with Illinois State midfielder Erin Egolf. The Spartans’ won the match 2-0 Sept. 11 at DeMartin Stadium at Old College Field.

Photo by Josh Radtke | The State News

Joining a team with all but one starter returning usually means sparse playing time for a freshman.

But midfielder Jordan Mueller already has cracked the No. 13 MSU women’s soccer team’s starting lineup.

Since earning her first career start Sept. 6 against Central Michigan, Mueller has started each of the past four games for the unbeaten Spartans.

MSU is 6-0-2 entering their Big Ten season opener Sunday against Penn State.

Mueller has made the most of her starting spot, racking up three assists and her first career goal Sept. 18 against Kent State.

A Farmington Hills native and Detroit Mercy Catholic High School product, Mueller earned first-team, all-state honors following her senior season of high school after receiving all-region accolades as both a sophomore and junior.

Earlier this week, The State News caught up with Mueller before practice to get to know the newest face in MSU’s starting lineup.

The State News What do you think of your experience as an MSU soccer player so far?
Jordan Mueller I love it, it’s a lot of fun. The team’s great. I just like it a lot.

SN What do you think of MSU as a whole?
JM I love Michigan State. I like my classes, like the campus — it’s really pretty. It’s nice.

SN What’s your favorite class?
JM My favorite class is my journalism class. That’s my major, too.

SN Very good answer. What’s your dream job?
JM I want to be a broadcaster for ESPN.

SN What’s your most embarrassing moment on the soccer field?
JM Umm, let me think. I don’t know. I constantly fall, but I don’t think I’ve had too many embarrassing moments. I don’t know, that’s a tough one.

SN How about your fondest soccer memory?
JM Probably winning regionals with my club team when I was 16.

SN What’s your favorite TV show?
JM “Friends.”

SN How about your favorite movie?
JM “Remember the Titans.” It’s just so inspiring. I usually don’t like sad movies, but it’s so good.

SN What’s your favorite type of music and two or three favorite artists?
JM Country. Taylor Swift, Dave Matthews Band and Rascal Flatts.

SN What’s the one song you have on your iPod before a game to get you jacked?
JM “Remember the Name” (by Fort Minor).

Share and discuss “Midfielder Mueller makes her mark on starting lineup” on social media.