Batting for the big leagues

A 19-year-old outfielder has the Toronto Blue Jays drooling in anticipation

Right fielder Travis Snider walks into the dugout during Friday's game against the West Michigan Whitecaps at Oldsmobile Park in Lansing. Snider batted in one of the Lugnuts' only two runs, both occurring in the first inning. But the Whitecaps answered in the second with three runs, and eventually went on to win 5-2. Snider was a first-round pick for the Toronto Blue Jays in the 2006 Major League Baseball draft. —

While scouts rave over Lugnuts outfielder Travis Snider's potential stardom in the big leagues, Snider is content to write his own blossoming story in baseball archives using a bat, glove and the confines of Oldsmobile Park.

Snider, a 19-year-old from Mill Creek, Wash., was the Toronto Blue Jays' 2006 first-round draft pick and 14th overall selection. He is in his first year with the Lugnuts after playing last season with the rookie league Pulaski Blue Jays in Pulaski, Va.

The transition to Single A has not dampened Snider's offensive production. In 44 games played this season, he leads the team in batting average, hits and RBIs.

Snider was forced to increase his preparation for a longer season as he moved up to the Single A Lugnuts.

"Rookie league has a shorter season than Single A, so you just have to take things one game at a time," Snider said after a loss to the Swing of the Quad Cities earlier this season. "You have to prepare by going to spring training early, get a lot of rest, and come and play hard every day."

Snider primarily bats in the number three or four position in the Lugnuts lineup, reserved for hitters with power and the ability to knock in runs.

"He has incredible bat speed, and as far as power goes the sky is the limit for him," said Matt Eddy, an assistant editor for Baseball America.

"He's also made a good transition to wood bats," Eddy added, explaining the sometimes difficult switch from aluminum to wood bats players like Snider face when moving from high school to professional baseball.

While at Henry M. Jackson High School in Mill Creek, Snider played football and baseball. He elected not to play football his senior season to focus on baseball. He helped propel his varsity baseball team to a 27-0 record and a state championship, the school's first baseball crown.

Excellent offensive statistics helped earn Snider the 2006 Gatorade Baseball Player of the Year Award in the state of Washington.

He was considered by some experts to be the most complete high school player available in the 2006 draft.

Lugnuts manager Gary Cathcart said Snider's hitting ability is extraordinary for a 19-year-old.

"He has a good offensive approach for someone his age," Cathcart said. "He has a good idea of what he has to do at the plate."

Snider has sought the coaching staff's advice in an attempt to improve himself as a player.

"I've talked with Gary about some things that will help me get better, mainly baserunning and how to play the game the right way," Snider said.

"I've also worked with (hitting coach Charles Poe) on fine-grooving my swings."

Snider recently suffered a slightly jammed finger during a game against the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers.

Snider did not see an at bat from May 22-27. But for Snider - injuries aside - the most challenging thing about the game of baseball is dealing with tough times at the plate.

"Baseball is a game of failure," Snider said. "If you hit 30 percent of the time in baseball, it's good, which is different from other sports. You have to learn how to deal with slumps you go through."

Batting .329 and averaging more than a hit per game played, Snider appear to be dealing with too much failure this season - he's dealing with success.

Share and discuss “Batting for the big leagues” on social media.