'Prairie' moves from airwaves to big screen flawlessly

Woody Harrelson, left, and John C. Reilly star in "A Prairie Home Companion." They play the singing cowboys Dusty (Harrelson) and Lefty (Reilly) in the film. The duo closes out the show with their raunchy tune about dirty jokes. —

Welcome to "A Prairie Home Companion," where all the actors are sincere, all the songs are catchy and the audience members clap a little bit harder.

The movie is just as an enchanting, funny and wholesome as the radio show. Even if you aren't familiar with Garrison Keillor's radio show on National Public Radio, or NPR, the film's still worth viewing. Compared to what's usually playing at the local cinema, the film breathes some refreshingly dry Midwestern humor into theaters, without all the ego and plastic surgery.

The plot isn't a closed book, but rather takes viewers on a witty journey through great monologues, clever jokes, heartfelt songs and even some interesting physical comedy backstage and on-air.

At some points, the plot lines don't really go anywhere, but the goal is not to force a revelation upon the viewer.

Instead, "A Prairie Home Companion" captures the everyday fantasy behind the radio show.

In the fictional story line, the radio show is getting the ax from a bigwig Tex as company. The corporate goal is to turn Fitzgerald Theater, where "Prairie" broadcasts, into a parking lot.

The movie revolves around the last show, which evokes high emotions and even a death along the way.

Keillor, besides writing an engaging script, has surrounded himself with a wonderfully talented hodgepodge of players. The big names like Woody Harrelson and Meryl Streep successfully rub elbows with the folks that regularly help Keillor put on his show.

Not very surprising, but Keillor is ultrasmooth on-screen. Just like in his radio show performance, he's tranquil with his storytelling, dry with his humor and knows how to keep a tune.

Kevin Kline is dynamite as Guy Noir. He captures the gumshoe lingo, while still holding onto some zany characteristics — falling over bars, slamming his fingers in desks and burning himself from his own rolled cigarette.

Harrelson and John C. Reilly steal the show every time they're on screen as the ridiculously crude, singing cowboys, Dusty and Lefty. Their dirty-joke ditty toward the end of the film is one brilliant dirty joke after another, all set to a great little country tune.

Even Lindsay Lohan comes through with an unforgettable performance. She's a wonderfully round character, Lola Johnson, who ends up getting onstage and singing one of her own songs, after writing suicide poetry for most of the film.

For all of the songs, which are a big part of the film, Keillor's radio-show band masterfully swings, saunters and just gets down to business.

Because the film is the opposite of a Hollywood-type film, it's beautiful. For the most part, all of the people from the actual radio show, including Keillor, aren't that attractive, but are on-screen because of their talent, not because their hair is never out of place.

"Prairie" is a good old-fashioned, feel-good film, with good writing and captivating characters. Go check it out if you're tired of all the mainstream summer blockbusters and in the mood for an original film.

Share and discuss “'Prairie' moves from airwaves to big screen flawlessly” on social media.