Repertory group full of creativity, talent

The MSU Repertory Dance Company had several performaces last weekend. Here, members perform a dance based on a Michelangelo painting. —

Rainbow-cloaked Sistine Chapel figures, mermaids, submissive sheep, a scuffle to acquire autonomy, a yearning love and religious zeal were interwoven to create a dreamlike quality in the MSU Repertory Dance Concert this weekend.

This was artistic director Dixie Durr's last Repertory Dance Concert.

"I just loved my job teaching, working with students, but I think it's time to retire and I'm looking forward to it, but it's not like I'm going to something else," Durr said. "I'll let that something else find me."

Durr said that dance will always play an intricate part in her life.

"I've never not had dance a part of my life," she said. "It's always been there and that's why I sometimes tell students that you cannot avoid that artist. In many respects it's who I am."

Elegant dancers coupled with superb lighting and costume design created fluidity in the show. More than 50 students were involved in the production including everyone behind the scenes.

"I think underlying all of that is just the sheer creativity of it all and I'm equally proud of the lighting designers and the costume designers because it's a change for them to really work on design elements that haven't been done before," Durr said.

Each dance moved like a sequence of dreams — each divergent, yet connected, like separate waves gravitating back to the same shore.

Minimalist composer Philip Glass is the background to the ultramodern tone. Songs "In Plaster" and "Sheep" were two dances that verged on obscure.

While avant-garde "In Plaster" was a different concept — using Sylvia Plath's poetry to accompany the dance — the choreography and execution of the dance was lovely. "Sheep," on the other hand, was too bizarre with its kindergarten sheep costumes, strange dialogue and movement.

The dance department brought in former students to choreograph pieces. Meisha Bosma, founder of BosmaDance in Washington, D.C., choreographed "In Plaster."

Sam Houston State University dance Professor Kista Tucker choreographed "Sheep," a portrayal of the modern American political scene.

Shawn Bible, who is working on his masters at the University of Michigan, choreographed "Posed" based on Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel and doctoral student Ray Robinson was behind "Belonging," a number about conformity.

"Psalm 27" and "Posed" were both of an afflatus. While "Posed" draws on classical art, "Psalm 27" was a modern medley featuring a small choir singing energetic hymns. The energy in "Psalm 27" was incredible between the St. John Student Parish choir and animated modern dance.

The strength of the student choreography was refreshing. Marlo dell'Antonio choreographed "Alegria" and "Psalm 27." Dell'Antonio's talent shined through in her superior dancing and choreography.

"Alegria" was one of the best dances in the show. Dell'Antonio and music senior Peter Eichler dance with bravo and show how love can last even through difficult circumstances.

Share and discuss “Repertory group full of creativity, talent” on social media.