Original 'Pink Panther' much better than 'prequel'

Old version funny, classic mystery

Introduced skillfully with some of the best animated credits to date, "The Pink Panther" does not disappoint.

The whole film is carefully planned out, and each part is set up cleverly. It relies on some physical humor, but at its core it is an intelligent slapstick film that knows how to be subtle.

Meet Inspector Jacques Clouseau (Peter Sellers), the most passionate law-enforcement official you'll ever encounter, but also the most oblivious. His wife is involved with his arch nemesis, and he can't catch the thief who's right under his nose.

Sellers' genius as the bumbling inspector comes to its climax during a scene when any other person would have caught on. Clouseau is trying to seduce his wife Simone (Capucine), and the whole time she has two men, one of which is the phantom, in the room with her: one under the bed and the other in the shower. The scene is just one example of Sellers' ability to play the fool to an audience's delight.

The infamous phantom is the jewel thief, who leaves a white glove at the scene of every crime. The phantom (Sir Charles Lytton) is played by David Niven.

"The Pink Panther" is as much a mystery as it is a comedy. The opening scene goes back in time and introduces us to the Pink Panther diamond and its owner. Claudia Cardinale plays Princess Dala, who receives the diamond as a gift from her dictator father. The background information provides the platform for the mystery. The film doesn't go out of its way to state the semi-obvious, and viewers get a chance to solve the mystery on their own.

The acting in the movie is exceptional. It's rare that you see a movie in which the entire cast manages to convincingly get into character. The inspector and the phantom characters create the perfect contrast of bumbling idiot and smooth criminal. Sellers and Niven pull off their performances skillfully. After the viewers get the chance to see each character separately, anticipation for when the two will clash begins — the viewers know they're in for a treat.

Another thing we can thank "The Pink Panther" for is the catchy theme song composed by Henry Mancini. The score is repeated throughout the film, but it never gets old. The rest of the music is generic background music, but it doesn't matter since nothing can top Mancini.

The cinematography in "The Pink Panther" is impressive for a 1963 film (released in the United States in 1964). Creative shots add to the mysterious feel.

The movie maintains a sense of suspense, despite the fact that the viewer already knows who the phantom is. There are unexpected twists throughout the whole film. Characters morph into different roles than you expect them to play. The ending remains open-ended while still resolving all the issues introduced. "The Pink Panther" deserves its classic status and is a timeless film that will be enjoyed by generations to come.

Share and discuss “Original 'Pink Panther' much better than 'prequel'” on social media.