Indie filmmaker screens his movie on Mich. college tour

Qasim Basir went to college on a football scholarship, and when he graduated from Wayne State University in May 2004, it seemed he would play in the professional leagues. But then fate stepped in. Basir was in a serious car accident that ruined his chances for a professional football career.

He bounced back from the accident and began making films. He is taking his second full-length film, "1 Nation 2 Worlds," on his Diversity Awareness College Tour. The film was screened in Akers Hall on Thursday, and about 25 people gathered to watch the movie and participate in a question-and-answer session with Basir.

"1 Nation 2 Worlds" portrays the opposite lives led by its two main characters — one black, growing up in inner-city Detroit, and one Caucasian, growing up in the wealthy suburbs. The film shows the viewer how two men with similar goals take very different paths to become who they are. The movie aggressively examines the racial stereotypes in society.

Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Inc. brought the film to campus after Basir contacted them about the tour. Joseph Campbell, a member of the fraternity who attended the screening, said Basir needed a student organization to help him arrange the event.

"We're trying to promote diversity awareness," Campbell, a kinesiology junior, said. "If you look at the movie, a lot of that stuff really goes on, people don't realize it."

Computer engineering junior Robyn Badon said she liked the movie and really understood the themes portrayed in it.

"It had a lot of realism for how it really is in the world," she said.

Spanish junior Bernie Issa said the film was impressive, especially considering Basir is an independent filmmaker beginning his career.

"It had a deep message — something I really believe in," he said. "They're from different backgrounds, but both had to struggle for what they wanted to achieve."

Basir talked with The State News before the movie began.

The State News: What made you decide to take your film on a campus tour?

Qasim Basir: I had found success in having screenings; it's been going really well. After I got a good response from a professor at University of Dayton, the dean of students wanted to bring the movie to campus and after that I decided to do a campus tour.

SN: Is the film a true story?

QB: A lot of it is true, some of it is made up — it's about half and half. I've spent half my life in Detroit and half in Ann Arbor, and those are two completely different places. I experienced so much from the poverty of Detroit to the racism I experienced in Ann Arbor, and I put it all into this. I got to live in both types of worlds; not everyone gets to experience that so I figured I should talk about it.

SN: What message are you trying to convey through the film?

QB: I'm trying to promote open-mindedness. At the end of the day you realize you don't know what someone else is by looking at them. One of the problems with this country is that no one wants to think outside of what they know. Once we erase some of this ignorance we've got going on we can progress as a people.

"1 Nation 2 Worlds" was filmed in the Detroit area in two months and completed in February 2005. The movie was made on a budget of $15,000, and runs 105 minutes. For more information, visit www.1nation2worldsmovie.com.

Share and discuss “Indie filmmaker screens his movie on Mich. college tour” on social media.