Classic film blends haunted house, romance

Meet Mrs. Lucy Muir, an independent woman determined to continue her life after her husband's death. Despite the fact that she has no money, she is set on moving out of her sister-in-law's home. She finds the perfect seaside cabin for the right price — it just happens to be haunted.

Mrs. Muir (Gene Tierney) meets the ghost of Capt. Daniel Gregg (Rex Harrison) within her first five minutes in the house. Despite the protests from her daughter and maid, she refuses to leave.

"The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" tells the story of Mrs. Muir and the captain's tumultuous relationship. It also shows the struggles of learning to love again after a loss.

The film takes you through all the stages of courting, from denial of attraction to professions of love. This relationship is between a live human and a ghost, but it doesn't hinder the viewer's experience.

The film is full of 1940s charm. The old-fashioned setting and rules of dating add to the courtship. The film spares the audience of overly cheesy moments. There is something about old movies that makes the stories told in them more moving. The fact that the movie is black and white simply adds to its magic.

The inability of the main characters to be together adds to the strength of their commitment to each other. When Mrs. Muir begins to date another live man, the captain finally realizes the extent of his feelings for her. Who knew a ghost could be jealous?

The fantasy-romance genre is near a point of nonexistence now, replaced by the scores of romantic comedies released recently. It's refreshing to see an old romance built around suspense and mystery. "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" embodies a mythical quality of effortless love found in fairy tales.

Mrs. Muir's character is impressive for a film released in the days when women were meant to be housewives, totally dependent on men to provide for the family.

Tierney does a great job portraying a woman torn between asserting herself and falling in love. She shows all the emotions of a young widow trying to care for her family while making herself happy.

All the acting in this film is executed skillfully. Harrison masterfully plays the ghost of a seaman.

The film is filled with classic love-story music. The orchestra-style soundtrack heightens the intimate moments between the couple.

It's easy to understand why it was nominated for a Best Cinematography Oscar since the filming is so gorgeous.

"The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" is one of those old movies that will cause audiences to lament that they don't make romance movies like they used to.

Share and discuss “Classic film blends haunted house, romance” on social media.