Beatles tribute band, public sing-alongs highlight festival

Curtis Remington might look like your average businessman by day. But by nightfall, khakis are traded for bright colors, keyboards for guitars and short haircuts for wispy wigs.

A graphic artist by day and a Beatle by night, Remington is the rhythm guitar and harmonica player for the Beatles tribute band Yellowsub Marines, and he loves every minute of it.

"This isn't a full-time job, this is a full-time passion," Remington said. "If you do this as a job you lose the edge and fun."

Everyone knows the famous quote from 1989's "Field Of Dreams" — "If you build it, (they) will come." But Remington says he goes by a different motto.

"If you put together a Beatles tribute band," he said, "they are already there."

Along with his three other band members, Russ Kalso, Wally Pleasant and Von Fierke, Remington will perform this Friday at Harper's Restaurant & Brewpub, 131 Albert Ave., as the opening act to the Mid-Winter Singing Festival Feb. 3-4.

"What could be better than a cold beer and a Beatles band?" asks Sally Potter, founder and co-producer of the annual festival.

Love karaoke? Do you use your shampoo bottle as a microphone? Anyone who loves to sing, regardless of actual singing talent, is invited to the Mid-Winter Singing Festival to belt out tunes.

First thing you should know, this is not a concert. This is a sing-along. So drink lots of water and get that voice in tip-top condition before showing up.

The festival kicks off with the Yellowsub Marines performance at Harper's. Tickets are $10, you must be of legal drinking age and the show starts at 8 p.m.

The singing continues on Saturday starting at 11 a.m. with a free children's concert.

For $5, you can purchase a "Workshop Wristband" and attend any of the Saturday workshops from noon to about 4 p.m. Children under the age of 12 can attend all workshops for free.

At 7 p.m. the festival's big event begins — the Community Sing, and tickets range from $10 to $15. All events on Saturday will take place at the Hannah Community Center, 819 Abbott Road.

Organizers of the festival expect about 1,500 people to attend the different events. This is the fourth year of the festival, and Potter said the Hannah Community Center is the perfect location.

"We have a huge folk music community in East Lansing. It's a natural fit," she said. "It's a community that loves to sing."

Potter is hoping that this year more students will join in on the singing festivities and said it's a great event for students to get their minds off school.

"They study. They drink Mountain Dew. They eat bad food. They study more," she said.

"But kids that love music are finding this festival 'cause it's right down the street, and it's so much fun."

"The Beatles were the best. Everyone wanted to be one," said Kalso, bass player for Yellowsub Marines.

"Now I have my chance."

And the Mid-Winter Singing Festival is your chance. If you're an avid car singer, blaring your favorite tunes as you cruise around town — it's time to put your singing skills to proper use while supporting a local singing festival.

Tickets are available for purchase at the doors of each event. Advance tickets can be bought at Archives Books Shop, 517 W Grand River Ave., and Elderly Instruments, 1100 N. Washington Ave. in Lansing.

Share and discuss “Beatles tribute band, public sing-alongs highlight festival” on social media.