Skilled acting, soundtrack help 'Match Point' amaze, stand out

Scarlett Johansson, left, and Jonathan Rhys-Meyers, right, play Nola and Chris in Woddy Allen's "Match Point." The two are involved in an affair. The movie tells the story of former tennis pro Chris and his relationships and bad decisions. —

Woody Allen could be a philosopher, but it's a good thing he opted for a directing career.

"Match Point" weaves the story of four young people's lives into an example of how luck can dictate our paths. The underlying message of the film is that it's better to be lucky than good.

Intuitively, I want to disagree with that assertion. The American ideal is that it's better to work hard — we want equal opportunity. With "Match Point," Allen begs to differ. He masterfully lets the story unfold to demonstrate the role luck plays. The philosophical message is not overemphasized but acts as a backdrop to the riveting story of love and adultery.

Former tennis pro Chris, played by Jonathan Rhys-Meyers, befriends Tom, (Matthew Goode), the son of a very wealthy family. Chris proceeds to get involved with Chloe (Emily Mortimer), Tom's sister, and Nola (Scarlett Johansson), Tom's fiancee. Obviously there is a conflict.

"Match Point" begins with an explanation of how tennis is only part skill — mostly luck. Allen creatively films a close-up of the ball going back and forth and bouncing over the net. This kind of cinematography is a theme throughout the movie. The film is enhanced through the use of inventive shots, juxtaposing unusual events to express the depth of each scene.

The film juggles multiple events in the lives of its four main characters, each one a blessing or a problem depending on who is involved. "Match Point" explores the different perceptions people have of common situations. There are pregnancies — an expected joyful one and an unexpected painful one. There is death that brings resolution and grief and business success that comes at a cost. The film shows the complexity that exists in things that are commonly viewed as simple, everyday happenings. This is how it allows viewers to relate and examine their own lives.

Another selling point is the choice of music for the film, which really enhances the intensity of the events. The movie is structured much like a Greek three-part tragedy, and the majority of the soundtrack is opera. Allen's use of the ancient style for the film complements its philosophical undertones. Whether you're a fan of opera or not, you'll appreciate it in combination with "Match Point."

The skilled acting is the element that guarantees greatness for "Match Point." Rhys-Meyers portrays the entire spectrum of emotion. He easily moves through different roles — a proper professional, a man on the verge of a breakdown and a seductive lover possessed by the beauty of another man's wife. Each persona is authentic. Rhys-Meyers offers one of the most convincing performances of the year.

Johansson, the sole American character in the film, also impresses with her portrayal of her character's many personalities. The plot is dependent on characters who have many sides, so the film would not have succeeded without believable acting.

"Match Point" impresses by keeping the viewer in suspense until the very end. The conflict is resolved in an original, unexpected way. The final scenes of the movie are like a tennis match. The situation moves back and forth between success and failure for Chris.

"Match Point" is the kind of film that continues to amaze after it's over. The more the viewer thinks about the film, the more the sheer genius of it is revealed.

Share and discuss “Skilled acting, soundtrack help 'Match Point' amaze, stand out” on social media.