Alumnus follows dream; creates record label in NYC

An MSU education has fueled alumni on the road to exciting careers all over the world.

For 1999 graduate George Katsiris, his philosophy degree served as a catalyst for the creation of a record label based in the Big Apple. Yes, Katsiris is proof that your career doesn't have to match your degree.

"I started as a music major, but I'm a jazz guitarist and at that time they didn't offer a jazz program or guitar as an instrument," Katsiris said.

And Katsiris said his degree at MSU has greatly aided his musical career.

"Having a philosophy degree, I think, is a great way to just tackle any situation," Katsiris said. "It's something that goes back to the days of Pythagoras because Pythagoras felt that there was no separation between music, math and God."

And when Katsiris recently sat down with The State News to talk about his record label — Premier Cru — he was also joined by the label's Chief Operations Officer Phoenix Roberts.

Originally from Washington, D.C., Roberts has had a winding path toward a career in the music industry.

"I attended college in Altanta, Ga., and I have a degree in cinematography. However, I had a couple of internships, while at college, at record labels — So So Def, Jermaine Dupri's record label is pretty large down there, and then also Redzone (Records) which is a large urban production house," Roberts said.

And like any good relationship, Katsiris met Roberts over a bottle of wine.

"Phoenix (Roberts) and I met at a wine tasting in New York City. And I was working there, and she was drinking there," Katsiris said. "I met her in the beginning of 2001 and started the label in the beginning of 2002."

And the two weren't done using the intoxicating influence of wine after their first meeting.

"Premier Cru in French means 'first grow.' It's a wine classification in France. So I thought Premier Cru sounded almost like a hip-hop group or half dual kind of play on words," Katsiris said.

The distinct and varied background of Katsiris and Roberts mirrors the musicians on Premier Cru.

One artist on the label is Ervin Green, who does hip-hop and was born in Detroit. He has opened for groups such as James Taylor Quartet and De La Soul.

Jon Solo is a 29-year-old piano player in Ellensberg, Wash. His album "Piano," was produced by Katsiris and is a collection of jazz standards.

Keyboard player Borahm Lee is currently working on a solo album with Premier Cru and is heavily influenced by reggae, jazz and electronic music.

Katsiris left some advice for college students looking to break into the music industry.

"You can't give up. You gotta make sure you're creative because having a record in 2006 is not enough. You gotta have more than a record. You gotta make sure you're tapping into everything you can think of."

For more information on the artists on the Premier Cru label, visit www.premiercrumusic.com.

Share and discuss “Alumnus follows dream; creates record label in NYC” on social media.