SN style: Getting classy for the holidays

4 —

The holiday season is upon us, and regardless of the occasion, a celebration is always in order. From here to New Year's, chances are there's at least one gala, bash or some no-holds-barred party that requires some finer touches. It can be difficult to stand out in a locale that most likely will feature tons and tons of decorations, accommodate to the cold weather without breaking a a sweat, and, not to mention, find items in the right in the right price range. SN Style has you covered — and, with book buyback season upon us as well, it's OK to splurge a little.

For men:

1. Pay attention to detail — straight lines all around make for a clean look.

A pair of wool slacks makes the best wear — they're comfortable like khakis, but not as casual. The slacks should be pleated to add to the clean, straight look, and dark colors, like the velvet blazer, match everything and aren't too distracting. The pair pictured here are pinstriped — even more of the straight-line statement. It's also important to note that slacks should fit close to the body — not overly baggy like a pair of jeans. Express Men offers a variety of styles and fits.

In the shoe department, a pleated pair of slacks complements a square-toe nicely because of the straight lines. The pair shown in the picture has a vertical stitching in the middle — also a nice complement. Try Payless Shoe Source or DSW for the best dress-shoe selection.

2. Warm up with a velvet blazer — a dark, solid color that's not too distracting. Almost every men's store carries them. Depending on your budget, check out American Eagle Outfitters for more moderate pricing (but less of a selection), while stores such as Younkers or Marshall Field's carry more of a selection, but higher prices.

A striped, brightly colored oxford underneath works well without being too loud but not being too dull. A solid color would work as well, but some sort of design would make a bold statement without being too plain. Try The Gap, which offers a variety of styles.

For women:

3. A simple dress with little detail can allow more attention to detail in other areas.

When dress shopping, consider your audience. Are you in front of a bunch of like-minded, younger friends or your more conservative family? Either way, pay attention to length. Too high above the knee can come across the wrong way, but a floor-length may not be ideal when trekking through Michigan's snow and slush. (Cleavage lines and exposed backsides must be taken into consideration, as well.)

Good selections are available at Express and Lane Bryant for more moderate prices, or Marshall Field's or Casual Corner for pricier looks.

One may have to sacrifice their feet in Mother Nature's wrath with open-toed shoes. Closed-toe options can work, but the look was slightly overdone this year with pants-over-stilletto styles. Go for a higher heel to further stand out.

4. Add some glitz and glamour to the accessories. With a low-key dress, any kind of accessorizing won't be too overpowering.

Crystal or metallic accessories make for a classier look, so avoid plastics as much as possible. It doesn't matter how many colors are involved, but a dress with a subtle tone complements accessories with subtle tones — as does more brightly toned dress with brightly toned accessories.

A glittery, bejeweled clutch can light up a room.

Miles and miles of pearls and ribbon can spruce up an otherwise dull neck.

Dangly earrings — whether made of crystal, metal or fabric — are always a good look when the rest of the outfit is simple.

Try Claire's, The Icing or Victoria's Secret for accessorizing.

Share and discuss “SN style: Getting classy for the holidays” on social media.